1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Change of Scope

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Andy Nichols, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone know if there's an IATF Rule, or FAQ or SI on any requirements when changing scope?

2. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

I would have to look, but off the top of my head, when we added operations to our facility, we had to have a scope expansion audit. Which I believe was just a half day. Since you're changing your scope, not sure if the same rules apply or not. Is the scope change drastic?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Andy Nichols ;
    A review of all current documents (FQA, SI, Rules, etc...) found references per the attached documents.

(On a side-note. Knowing you as I believe I do....I would guess you are already WELL AWARE ;) of any specific requirements and are simply prompting "us" to think and consider. So, I gotta' ask..."what's your point caller? " :) )

Be well.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

LOL - I had not found those 2 references! I was posed this question recently: "How do I add Process X which is a new facility?" I was thinking more in terms of other aspects which might be considered and was surprised to find - as you've pointed out - there's no defined approach to how adding a process etc. to scope is supposed to be managed.:eek:

I felt certain that some criteria would be defined: How long should the process have been run to generate performance data? When is the change of scope audit to be conducted? Is it expected that internal, process and product audits have all been implemented on the change of scope? And so on...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  5. Andy Nichols

The company does "coatings" and has added painting, which is generally classed as a coating, however, from a sales/marketing perspective, the difference is important. It's a bit like comparing "assembly" and "fabrication", for example.

qmr1976 likes this.
  6. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

Gotcha! Reference 3.2 in the IATF rule book states that the client is to notify CB of changes, which include scope of operations under the certified management system.

7. Andy Nichols

Yup, exactly. The CB auditor doesn't like to walk into an audit and have a change of scope "sprung" on them. Makes sense.

qmr1976 likes this.
  8. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Not sure if the MS Certification Bodies handle this similar to lab Accreditation Bodies (e.g. ANAB...ISO 17025) or not. ANAB recognizes what they call a "scope expansion", which can be managed via a minimalistic on-site or remote assessment (depending on the extent of the change.

Be well.

9. Andy Nichols

Good point @John C. Abnet . Experience shows that there are a couple of factors at play: The nature of the scope change and (we'll call it "risk" for want of a better term) and the headcount associated. Then there's timing of the implementation.

Some are relatively small scope changes and, of course, some could be major. Both will require significantly different approaches to verification. Hence my thoughts that the IATF Rules don't apparently seem to have considered it.

John C. Abnet likes this.