1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Central Composite Design (CCD)

Discussion in 'DOE - Design of Experiments' started by Extan, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Extan

Extan Member

Hello !

I would like to obtain response surface for a problem driven by 4 variables. Hence I defined 5 levels for each variables (-alpha;-1;0;+1;+alpha), and used a CCD approach.

However, the extremum of one variables(+alpha and -alpha) seem to degrade the results.

[​IMG]

I am fairly new to designs of experiment, and I would like to know the implications of only having 3 levels for 1 variable while having 5 levels for the others. Is the model still valid if I stay within the defined boundaries? Is there maybe a value or a set of values I can track to validate the model?

Any help is more than welcome =)

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Can you attach your data? We can provide a much better response without speculating.

3. Extan

Extan Member

Sure ! I uploaded and xlsx file, hopefully anyone can read it. It is a copy paste from Minitab18 CCD sheet if it can help.

The "*" means this simulation was not done, because the parameters were not realistics. Since the results come from a numerical simulation, all center points (0,0,0,0) have the same value.
    "A" is the parameter I have a problem with, so I woud like to remove simulation n° 21 and 22.

I can send you the minitab file if you want !

Thank you so much for spending time on my question !

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

4. Extan

Extan Member

I just logged from another computer and saw the size of the image I inserted inside my first message..... I'm really sorry this is so large ! A modarator can delete it, it is not required anymore since I uploaded the data set

5. Miner

The simplest solution would be to create a Face Centered design and rerun your axial points. Since this is a simulation rather than a physical experiment, that should be relatively easy to do. Removing those runs will unbalance the design and it would no longer be orthogonal.

6. Extan

Extan Member

Alright, I'll follow your advice, thank you so much !

I have a second question: what parameter(s?) should I check at the end to assess whether or not the model is valid ? So far I am using the histograms I showed you in the first post, but it feels like a very "light" validation. Is there something else I should check ?

Again, thank you very much for you time

7. Miner

The histograms do not show up for me. If you are using Minitab 18's RSM to analyze the results, you should plot and evaluate the residuals, and look at the R^2 (pred) and R^2 (adj). Then, use the resulting model to predict the results for settings that you have not used then validate that prediction in your simulation.

8. Extan

Extan Member

They did not show up for me either until I switched for a much bigger screen. Anyway, thank you very much for your help, I'm going to launch these simulations tonight, I should get the results in a couple of weeks ! =)

9. Extan

Extan Member

Hello, me again !!

I managed to get my hands on a similar study done a few years ago, and I did exactly what you advice and used a Face Centered design (data attached). I have a few questions if you have a little more time to share:

I have two outputs for the simulations. The first one is a width (see data). This is basically what I would like to predict. Minitab gives me a R-sq(adj) of 94,2% and a R-sq(pred) of 76,66%. This numbers a quite high, but I am concerned about the difference between the two. I tried and fitted with a small enough error other points (not from the original set) to the model. However, I am wondering whether I just was lucky, or if given the R-sq(pred), this is normal. Any thoughts ?

As you may notice from the Pareto chart, when taking the width as an output, one of the parameters ("size") clearly dominates the model. To further study the influence of the 4 parameters, I normalised the output using the dominant variable (output called "width ratio"). The Pareto chart that is obtained seems to properly reflect the physic behind the simulation, however, R-sq(adj) is now equal to 83,21%, and the R-sq(pred) equals 34,46%. I realise the prediction is rather uncertain, however, I do not want to predict anything, I just would like to see the main trends. Would that model be reliable enough ?

Whether or not you reply, I would like to thank you again, you have already been of great help !

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.: