1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Calibration frequency

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by russell nugent, Nov 11, 2022.

1. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

My favourite subject calibration . We have a large number approx 100 anti static guns and snakes on site , which are monitored through our calibration system .

The frequency is set at 3 months and I was reviewing if this is overkill and should be changed to 6 or 12 months .

Was looking for some insight / advice into setting frequency or thinking being moving the frequency out , breakdown risk ect.

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

As these are not measurement devices, why are you trying to calibrate them? I could understand a PM frequency to ensure that they operate correctly.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  3. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

I agree with Miner that these are (probably) not instruments which require calibration, but instead should be on a PM schedule.

But lets look at the original question - how do you set calibration frequency?

Over the last 30+ years I have seen too many companies that use the generic 'annual calibration' as their guideline.....they calibrate EVERYTHING every year. That is ok if you only have a few dozen gauges, but if you have a large number (my last company we had over 800 gauges) the task becomes unmanageable.

Calibration frequency can be modified based on RISK ASSESSMENT and history. One of the first things I did at my current company was to change the frequency of calibration of digital calipers and micrometers from annual to 18 months. My experience has shown that these type of instruments either work, or don't work at all.....they are subject to damage which results in the instrument not working at all (rather than giving a false measurement).

I documented this decision in our Calibration Guidelines (an appendum to our Lab Scope) and was questioned about it once by an external auditor. I gave the same explanation that I showed above, and this was accepted without question.

And yes, the calibration frequency for ANALOGUE calipers and micrometers is still at 12 months - there is a MUCH higher potential for instrument wear/damage which can result in an incorrect reading.

Carlos Lindo and Andy Nichols like this.
  4. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

Sorry guys it is more of a basic check not calibration where we check using device that we are getting anti static not just air blast . I agree though about there is very little risk in reducing frequency of checking on certain gauges .

5. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I would do several things:
    • Move these out of your calibration system and into your PM system.
    • Get with the vendor and find out:
      • what they recommend as a PM frequency,
      • if there are any indicators that they are not functioning correctly ( I see that some models have an indicator light to verify proper function),
      • or easy ways for an operator to verify before use.

6. alex41

alex41 New Member

If my 3 certificates are within 80% of the standard error limit, I extend it for a quarter of my current frequency and renew it every 3 certificates.

7. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

what is your question?