Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

BIO's

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Yukon, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Yukon

Yukon Well-Known Member

I'm new here and would like to know who I'm posting with. Could each of you provide a brief summary of your (quality) work experience? It would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Yukon

2. Graham Thorpe

Graham Thorpe Member

You first then;-)

3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Why do you want to know who you're posting with?

Graham Thorpe likes this.
  4. Yukon

Yukon Well-Known Member

Eleven views and not a single brief bio ?

5. Graham Thorpe

Graham Thorpe Member

Not even yours

John C. Abnet likes this.
  6. Yukon

Yukon Well-Known Member

Yukon's bio:

Nortel Networks
    1966 - 1968: Production worker
    1968 - 1970: Product Testing
    1971 - 1981: Production Supervisor
    1981 - 1989: Quality Analyst & Process Auditor
    1982 - 2001: Manager Corporate Quality & Customer Satisfaction
    1994 - 1996: Malcolm Baldrige & Canada Award of Excellence Assessor

Lead Auditor at (QMI) SAI Global
    2002 - current (ISO 9001, TL 9001, Z299, N286, N287)

7. Graham Thorpe

Graham Thorpe Member

Well done on this:
    1994 - 1996: Malcolm Baldrige & Canada Award of Excellence Assessor

If I were a CB auditing you I would ask for a link to the website ;-)

8. Yukon

Yukon Well-Known Member

As a Canadian I was not permitted to perform Baldrige assessment for the US award process but at Nortel we had an internal program that followed Baldrige guidelines. I did that type of assessment. I did do three assessments (John Deer, IBM Toronto, and North York Board of Education) for the Canada Award of Excellence on behalf of the National Quality Institute. Don't get involved with it as the "politics" will blow your mind.

9. Yukon

Yukon Well-Known Member

Eighty-six views and only one (mine) bio posted. I'm really surprised.

10. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I guess, in this forum, credentials are not really important for those who want to gain ideas, approaches, information, tools, etc. Whether a poster is a seasoned auditor, consultant, a decorated quality professional, Deming or Juran themselves, a student, an operator, an executive - none of these matters, if a poster wanted to share and contribute to this "people helping people" forum. Posters don't need to tell who he/she is. The words we post in this forum are our mirror.

11. Yukon

Yukon Well-Known Member

Tony,
    I concur with your comments. However, it would be benificial if we knew a little more about the people we are exchanging ideas with. For example, I have had several of my postings challenged and have been left wondering if the person is correct or is simple a quality " wannabe". I even been put on ignore for using words like 'You are wrong'. To me when that happens the people doing it are very immature. Challenge, criticize, debate but don't ignore.

12. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Most forum members guard their identity and any information that could be used to identify them to avoid potential difficulties with their employer. We respect that and don't pry. Your lack of a response speaks volumes.

13. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

Zero experience... started in august of 2018 as a quality/document control manager.... seeking my first ISO certification in June from start to finish all in 10 months. This forum has helped me literally a TON, with out this forum i dont think i would be able to accomplish my goal. I think when posting on a forum (any forum) it is up to you, the reader, to decipher it is valid or not. For example you can go on an antivaxx or flat earth forum and see "qualified" people spouting their garbage, doesn't mean you choose to believe that or see it as valid. You can take what people say here with a grain of salt or in my experience very relevant useful helpful information FOR FREE that you wont find any where else. If your goal is to try and single people out and "fluff feathers" with qualifications i don't think this is the forum for you, you have been here a total of 8 ish days and seems (to me) your intention has been to stir the pot.

14. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Right, but you came here spouting your "authority" as to what would be expected by an auditor. And granted many of your expectations make sense -- at some point we have to figure out how to manage the standard. So we "expect" the usual suspects -- process maps, job descriptions, certain KPIs, etc. But those usual suspects aren't requirements. When auditors ask for them, as opposed to "how do you" questions it complicates things. Over the years we have gone from "make it simple for the auditor" to "make it simple for us." The "us" version is the better one.

John C. Abnet, KyleG and Andy Nichols like this.
  15. Yukon

Yukon Well-Known Member

Golfman,

Please note that I have withdrawn my resignation from the Forum.
    It was never my intent to be viewed as an "authority" and I will be honest and tell you I have never had to establish a QMS from the ground up. True, my comments come from the auditors-point-of-view. What I have been trying to do is read posts, and well wearing my Auditor hat, comment if the approach would be acceptable to an Auditor.

In my role as a Lead Auditor I have seen hundreds of Quality Systems and have rejected, via NC, numerous incorrect applications of the standard. For the most part the rejections are because "the consultant we hired told us to do it that way".

I apologize if my approach has been offensive in any way. Just keep in mind that if I suggest a different way of fulfilling any requirement of the standard it is because I strongly believe you will receive a NC (non-conformance) from an auditor. Bear in mind that many, many auditors don't believe they have done the audit correctly unless they issue an NC.. unfortunately that is a fact, I have seen it too many times. Also, I agree "The us version is the better one"

Regards,
    Yukon

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  16. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Well having established a QMS from the ground up and speaking and listening to people, it's clear to me that a pattern develops. You start with an overkill system, lots of documentation and other stuff to "please the auditor." Then as you move forward, you realize that it's impossible to feed the beast and keep it going, so you slim it down. Along the way there are lots of disagreement with consultants, auditors, and the like. I can tell you from my experience, many consultants and auditors aren't useful. Of all the NCs we have seen over the years, 90% have been worthless, non-substantive baloney.

17. Yukon

Yukon Well-Known Member

A tip for you. When I. Was at Nortel we were having an audit at our HQ office in Toronto. We were concerned. That QMI would assign an auditornot. Familiar with HQ activities. We interviewed four perspective auditors from QMI and we told QMI who we would. Accept as our auditor. They. Were upset but ultimately conceded to us. If you are having your. Audit don't accept whomever they assign. Tell them you want to interview the auditor.