1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

audit programme - consideration factor

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by wywy2020, Mar 18, 2016.

1. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

All of the data is in the management report and audit files anyway, I just look at number of NC's, whats still open, and sort based on that. Not complex, and it all is in the report anyway, so all is well documented. Admittedly the sort order is a bit subjective, but I have never had any issues with it, in fact, our customers live by that stuff, so their auditors love it.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

But shouldn't we be running our audit programs for our organizations? Our management? I hate to hear the same old mantra that "auditors love it" or "We've never been given an nc by our auditor". Internal audits aren't about "pleasing" other auditors, but are about bringing valuable feedback to management.

When I see such charts, I wonder if it's simply a monster which needs feeding. I also wonder why it simply isn't a case of looking at the normal performance of processes, changes etc and scheduling an audit based on what that tells you. I really believe people make far too much of what isn't really rocket science and then because it takes a lot of pouring over entries in the forms, can justify why it has to be that way - and no-one else knows enough to say it doesn't. I'm reminded of the old 10cc song "Art for Art's Sake"...

3. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

Their auditors 'loving it' is the most important thing, as without that, we have no contract and no business. If I have to do it that way, then so be it, I work for the company, not myself, so I do what must be done. After the audit we are assigned a score, the higher the score, the more work we get, so yes, its done for the score. Arguing a point, no matter how right you are, can cost the company dearly. I get one chance to pass this with the highest score possible, so you do whatever it takes.

4. marjt711

marjt711 New Member

Hello thank you for sharing the Audit Programme, I was wondering if you have the Internal Audit Checklist.doc mention on the Audit Findings Tracker

“Using the 'Findings Summary' section from the Internal Audit Checklist.docx, copy and paste grey the coloured cells into the corresponding cells below.”

I would really appreciate it, your share has helped me tremendously.

Thank you

5. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

This audit scheduler which was published in the old Elsmar Cove, takes into consideration the importance of the process. I've used it and when there are NC's on some of my processes, I increase the frequency of the audit. Hope this helps.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

6. David Graham

David Graham Member

Well once a year, we sit down and we score the audits against the findings and we sit with process owners and determine criticality to the business, as well as the findings classification. From this the next year audit is set up, those critical items are audited more frequently, those other areas that don't fall under critical to business get audited over our defined audit cycle. We produced a spread sheet to ensure that when we audit the process, that all of the QMS document set is audited as well as all the elements of the standard are addressed as well. All of these decisions of course are documented. This seemed to satisfy our AS9100C auditor. Hope this is helpful.

One of the things I forgot to share is that I have built an automated spreadsheet that examines the findings, severity and repeating/cyclic nature of the findings, color codes these, and calculates the results to determine which areas are most like to produce a finding and I attack that area the next audit cycle and through Opportunities for Improvement with the senior managers/process owners as well. There are always areas that could use improvement and being creatures of habit, complacency does creep in.

7. Andy Nichols

David: Are you using the previous year's audits only? What else do you consider?
    But what does your management team think?

8. David Graham

David Graham Member

We use input from our embedded Government Quality Assurance Representative, Process Metric results, of course 'last years audits', requests from Managers/process owners, outcomes of Management Review Meetings and functional departments that had marked personnel turn over, or areas that had significant changes made to process flow. Also we are governed by an airworthiness regulator, so audits are also dependent on airworthiness issues or when a change was made to a regulation we audit for continued compliance.

Management is on board with this approach, our registrar has not reported an issue with this. The only real issue we have with any consistency is with the timeliness of responses to corrective actions.

9. Andy Nichols

Seems like you go beyond the usual set of inputs to auditing - good job! In my experience, audit findings which don't get support to fix them are usually couched in ISO terms, instead of things management care about. How do your internal audit result get reported?