1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

8.5.1.4 planned or unplanned shutdown

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by John C. Abnet, Feb 25, 2021.

1. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day QFO community;
    Modern manufacturing equipment is often complex digitally controlled machinery. We have all seen situations where even a brief power outage can cause significant challenges with regard to restart-verification-clearing/containing "in process" product from machinery, etc..etc...

The auditable clause in the standard (8.5.1.4) makes no reference to the amount of time required to be called a "shutdown" .
    However, section 3.1 "Terms and abbreviations..." attempts (poorly) to quantify exactly what can be considered as a "shutdown" as follows...

"Condition where manufacturing processes are idle; time span may be a few hours to a few months"

It is indeed an extremely "loose" explanation, and I for one believe the standard/we would all be better off if the IATF team had NOT attempted to define it. Seems to me "planned or unplanned shutdown" is pretty self explanatory.

So. As ridiculous of a question as this seems to be, what say all of you with regard to what is considered a planned or unplanned shutdown.

Thoughts?

Be well.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Unplanned, to me is when an incident occurs such as machinery breakage or a process or product characteristic not being met. Planned would be end of shift, tooling change over, maintenance. As you say, pretty explanatory.