1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

7.4 communication matrix?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Daniel Padilla T, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Daniel Padilla T

Daniel Padilla T Member

Hello everyone!

I'd like to know what is your approach for this clause. I have been told by my quality consultant (and some resources online) that you can use a communication matrix that contains columns with the information required (what to communicate, when to communicate, etc.) What do you think?

2. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

The only issue that i see tying yourself down to a documented communication schedule, is if you miss a communication meeting or a (whatever) meeting, it could be a minor non conformance, I prefer for communication to just show the records of said meeting. We have employee of the month meetings, daily weekly production meetings for production staff, weekly manager communication meetings. I would rather see and produce records, than a schedule.
    remember your QMS is going to be as difficult as you make it, keep it simple.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Although not "required" by ISO 9001 to be documented, having some form of communications plan is helpful. In terms of what the standard is after, it's typically focused on things related to the implementation of the processes of the quality management system:

Policy and Objectives, Process Performance, Product Conformity, Improvements and Customers' feedback, that type of thing. Clearly there's room for identifying outcomes from internal audits etc, too. It's going to be dependent upon the size of the company (headcount) and the larger it is, the more reason there is to document a comms plan (I wouldn't call it a "matrix"). The smaller the org. the less formality is needed.

4. Daniel Padilla T

Daniel Padilla T Member

Thanks a lot Andy!

Andy Nichols likes this.
  5. Daniel Padilla T

Daniel Padilla T Member

Thank you KyleG!

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

For clarification's sake, many organizations can scrape up enough content to put together a quarterly newsletter or similar. Company news, births, birthdays, deaths and marriages kinda thing. That's a perfectly satisfactory platform for communicating QMS issues, too!

7. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

I should also add my company is small, 55 people in total 5 of us being management.

Daniel Padilla T likes this.
  8. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I have seen it done really well. I think the matrix approach is more practical for a more complex set of communications, ranging from regulators to community persons to employee representatives.

Daniel Padilla T likes this.
  9. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

One of the key elements that you will not be able to address in a single matrix is the detail (often ignored) of who needs to be communicated with in every task (activity) in every process, whether it is just being told that something has happened or getting a copy of a form or report. That is why the "C" of RACI is so useful (as are the other types of involvement). This may only be implied by 9001, but it is essential for effective and efficient operations.

10. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

In establishing the appropriate approach in fulfilling the requirements in clause 7.4, an organization should understand first its intent. Ensuring that internal and external communication needed for the QMS are in place is the intent. Most organizations have already established these communication mechanisms prior to their ISO journey (e.g. meetings, briefings, correspondences, circulars, bulletin boards, posters, electronic messages, news letters, report submissions, etc.). Organizations will only need to employ these mechanisms to disseminate the necessary information to relevant persons and interested parties.

The requirements in ISO 9001 mention things that must be communicated (e.g. quality policy, objectives, roles, responsibilities, etc.). There are also information that must be communicated as per the organization own requirements including regulatory requirements. Guidelines on who, how, and when these information are to be communicated are better maintained in procedures, job descriptions, policies or even the statements specified in the standards or regulations.

The "matrix", as a reference/guide, is just another documented information that an organization might choose to maintain and should be controlled as per clause 7.5. If an organization opted to document this matrix in the presumption that this is how clause 7.4 is to be fulfilled, IMHO, I believe they missed the intent.

11. Daniel Padilla T

Daniel Padilla T Member

Thank you all for your responses. This forum is one of the best resources online I've encountered.

Congratulations!!;)