1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

7.2 c) Evaluate the effectiveness of actions taken

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by SEGKnight, Oct 27, 2021.

1. SEGKnight

SEGKnight Member

Good Day,

I work for an educational institute that is certified to 9001. We were recently issued an NC for not ensuring that actions to acquire the necessary competence, and evaluate the effectiveness of the actions taken were complete.

I am new to the organization. In my previous experience, the organizations I have worked for have done this different ways, through a form being completed in which objectives of training would be defined and then evaluated following the training. Other companies use an annual performance review system to evaluate effectiveness of actions taken (which is not implemented here).

The educational institute I work has a huge scope under their certification including educational training and delivery as well as some Centres that provide service to external clients.

I have to keep this simple as it will have to work for each entity under the scope of our system.

I am thinking a form would suffice. I will start by defining the criteria in which it would have to be completed
    1. gap in competency defined (external training, on the job shadowing, etc.)
    2. New equipment or software

I feel I would do something similar to one of my previous employer's, using a form defining learning objectives prior to the training, possibly document a training plan, followed by the employee doing a self evaluation, then manager/lead/supervisor evaluation post training...

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?? Much appreciated!

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Hello and welcome!

Could you post the precise wording of the NC you were issued? Also, what's the scope of your QMS? Both matter.

I'd like to understand (partly since I too work in what can be termed an educational institute) if the auditor was alluding to the Organization's staff or the people you are educating. It appears from your post it was the employees.

If it is, it's simply a case of a) defining the required competencies of personnel who affect the training and delivery, for example, then b) evaluating them against those competencies, c) identifying and taking any actions needed to further develop competencies and finally d) re-evaluation.

John C. Abnet likes this.
  3. SEGKnight

SEGKnight Member

The scope is large. As stated on our cert "The design, development, delivery and provision of teaching and learning, research and development, and industry support related to the oceans provincially, nationally and internationally." May sound simple, however under "industry support" we have several "centres" that are basically business within themselves providing an array services to different clients. Anything from testing of fishing gear, development of food products, marine simulation, etc.

NC: There was a minor lapse in ensuring that actions to acquire the necessary competence, and evaluate the effectiveness of the actions taken were not complete.

Note: We have had the same auditor for 20 years. He is kind to the organization.

Correct: alluding to staff, on on the Industry support side, but whatever process I support in developing would be institute wide.

Note: Surprisingly, we do not have a performance evaluation process in place. In addition, depending on the department or centre, competencies are not well defined. Some groups use a training matrix, other only go by job descriptions.

4. Andy Nichols

Maybe, fingers crossed, the auditor was attempting to communicate this part needed addressing? I'd separate out performance from competency, as I see them as different faces of the same coin. Some folks are competent, but they aren't motivated to perform. Competency is demonstrating skills, knowledge and experience (or whatever ISO 9000 says it is). From my previous post, I'd highly recommend this:

a) defining the required competencies of personnel, then b) evaluating them against those competencies, c) identifying and taking any actions needed to further develop competencies and finally d) re-evaluation.

5. SEGKnight

SEGKnight Member

Thanks Andy.

On a different note... you said:
    How do you use your certification to promote your programs/course? I am with a post secondary institute that offers short course, diploma's, advanced diplomas, degrees, PHD, etc. and there is more of a push lately to use our certification as a promotional piece. From what I understand there are not many post secondary institutes that have a certified system with everything they do under the scope.

6. Andy Nichols

To be honest, our certifications are really a by-product of the training we provide. We're a not-for-profit and our courses are funded differently to most for-profits, hence the motivation to obtain the training is vastly different.

There is, it seems a greater awareness of the need for training/educational institutions to have some type of certification. For example, ISO 29990 is becoming a recognized management system (and therefore organizations being certified to it) but it is still early days, as far as I understand - and you have alluded to this fact. We do have IACET accreditation for many of our courses, which allows CEUs to be awarded and some find this to be preferable.

7. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

In describing the problem as a "minor lapse" the auditor seems to be referring to a process that was not always followed.

Let us keep in mind that the standard is asking for documentation of determination of competency. If a matrix is doing that, okay, but I have seen that very seldom. I usually see matrices defining and tracking completion of training and re-training.

A task's complexity and criticality should influence how competency is to be verified. I see everything from short software-issued tests to extensive and highly detailed qualification plans for chemical plant operators. For this reason, a single type of approach may not be appropriate. The most important thing is that it gets done and the end result is personnel are able to correctly perform their responsibilities in support of the QMS.

8. SEGKnight

SEGKnight Member

Many of our course are accredited as well by Transport Canada, DNV, TAC, etc. However, as far as I know, we do not promote our 9001 certification like the others. I have to look into how to do this and what value it adds.

9. Andy Nichols

Yes, it's going to depend a lot on the marketplace and recognition of what certification represents. I'd suggest that outside of (hardware) manufacturing, ISO 9001 certification hasn't gained much ground and, over the years, interest in a management systems approach to the way of achieving a particular outcome (product, service etc) in non-manufacturing sectors has generated additional management systems standards: ISO 27,001, ISO 20,000, ISO 45000, ISO 50000 et al. ISO 29990 has yet to gain ground, but I'd hope it was seen by the IACET type accreditors as being a good thing.

10. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Most organizations, naturally, have already a set of competencies and qualifications necessary for each employee position. These are defined in their job qualification criteria, job descriptions, skills matrices, training ladder, etc. This satisfies half of the intention in clause 7.2a. The other half is when additional competence is determined as necessary when:
    • new or advance knowledge and skills are needed to accomplish the assigned tasks;
    • the results of employee appraisal warrant enhancement of the employee performance;
    • a prospective employee needs some form of intervention before deploying to his/her job; or
    • the training ladder needs to be implemented for employee promotion.
    Acquiring the needed competence to address the above situations will require actions (e.g. training, mentoring, coaching, re-assignment, etc.). The actions, once completed, must be evaluated for effectiveness as per clause 7.2c. As a rule of thumb, for every needed action, after its implementation the standard requires evaluation of effectiveness (e.g. actions to address risks/opportunities, corrective actions).

A simple approach can be adopted to satisfy clause 7.2c. A form with the information below can be devised:
    • basis for acquiring the needed competency;
    • the identified competency need;
    • expected result/s for acquiring the needed competence;
    • preferred action to acquire the competence;
    • date of the provision of the preferred action;
    • target date on when the acquired competence can be demonstrated;
    • results of the evaluation of effectiveness after the proposed target date.

Jennifer Kirley and Andy Nichols like this.
  11. SEGKnight

SEGKnight Member

Thanks Tony! I appreciate how you have laid that out. This gives me a little more direction.

tony s likes this.