1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Commercial Risk within the DMAIC Process

Discussion in 'Lean, Six Sigma and DFSS' started by Scott, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Scott

Scott Member

Hello again,

This may sound like a simple question to answer based on the wording so i do apologise:

If i was using the DMAIC process to investigate product failure and co-ordinate recalls, improvement actions etc - where in this cycle would i put Commercial / Business/ Customer Risk Analysis.

I know by having the word analysis in there - i may assume it would go into the analyse phase, however during Measure - you are assessing current state, identifying what data is available and where to gather it as well as gathering the data and summarising it.

Would i put this in the Measure or analyse phase?

The background is that we have a failure on a product that has been in the market place for quite some time. During recent testing an intermittent failure was discovered. We do not know when this started, how many units are effected - we only know the potential impact (based on units sold).

I want to use the DMAIC process to manage this - to ensure we understand the potential impact, root cause and implement the relevant actions to ultimately prevent a recurrence whilst maintaining our reputation with the customers who are potentially effected.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

First DMAIC is not a law...it is a framework that places the steps of the 'problem solving' process in a general order. Given this you can and should put your risk analysis wherever and whenever it makes sense for that particular problem.

We have 14 steps in our DMAIC process and include 'risk assessment' in several places
    - in the first step (situational analysis or define) where we assess the severity and actual occurrence rate as well as our ability to detect the failure and keep it from getting to the customer. This provides information on the priority for solving the problem and if any immediate stop shipment, stop production or field notification/action is required to protect the Customer
    - we re-address the risk later in the measure/containment phase when we have more detailed information and may have a new test and/or rework, field action process that we can implement
    - we assess the new risk during the improve phase as we get ready to verify & validate then implement the permanent solution(s)

Scott likes this.