1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Is this standard a good fit for us?

Discussion in 'ISO 14001:2015 - Environmental Management Systems' started by Nikki, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Nikki

Nikki Well-Known Member

After the success of our ISO 13485 certification, my GM has asked me if there are any Standards that are associated with us being "Green" - We are installing solar panels on our roof to provide us with some power (it wont run our plant but it will reduce our energy costs.)

Would the 14001:2015 standard be a good match for what he is asking of me?

2. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

Does this standard make my butt look big ?

Sorry, I'll be on my way now. Couldn't resist ...

Greg Fish likes this.
  3. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

Gotta ask the question...

What is the purpose of "Achieving" another standard certification? Is there an increase in sales and profit expected that would make the additional cost worthwhile?

QMS is valuable. Saving money is valuable. Certification has no value unless it opens up or preserves additional business avenues. So ... does it?

Nikki and Andy Nichols like this.
  4. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

@normzone: No...it's not the standard...:p

5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

The standard won't associate you with being green. Some Stakeholders might see ISO 14001 and recognize that your organization at least thinks about the environment, but it doesn't mean that you're a tree-hugging group. ;)

If you're thinking more in line with customers and community, you could do advertising (e.g., magazines, external communications, a banner on the building, etc.) that says something like "Powered by the sun. Run on dedication."

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I have to ask, what's the motivation? Does Top Management think this about collecting "awards"? If they do, then they should revisit that perception, since, unless the organization has fairly significant "aspects and impacts", the operation of the EMS will become more of a burden to maintain the certificate than the (monetary) benefit...(IMHO)

Wally Licuanan and Nikki like this.
  7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I agree with Andy. Since you only install solar panels, 14001 may not bring more value to your organization. Your operation is more exposed to "hazards and harms" than "aspects and impacts", so you may consider ISO 45001 instead. I have friends who work on solar module manufacturing and module assembly and ISO 14001 make sense for them since they generate a lot of "aspects and impacts".

Wally Licuanan and Nikki like this.
  8. Randy

Randy Member

Going Green, but the focus on solar panels is to save money? 1st, you've gotta Go Green in attitude/approach and no standard can do that for you.

14001 is a method to manage overall environmental performance which includes improvement, but not necessarily Going Green. 14001 can help, but it's not a guarantee.

Wally Licuanan likes this.