1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

PFMEA Approval Process

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Daniel Arango, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Daniel Arango

Daniel Arango New Member

Does anybody have had any experience on some process to approve a PFMEA? I mean, after the PFMEA has been created, is there a protocol to approve it? please share any experience will be appreciated.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Does your customer require to approve it? Once the PFMEA is created, it should follow your defined process/procedure for document control. What does that say about who approves them?

3. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

We develop a PPAP document depending upon the OEM customer. If it is a level 4 PPAP we do not have to submit to the customer unless they ask for it. I have also submitted Level 4 PPAPS to FIAT which they approved by their signature in the PSW. My suggestion is that you look at customer specific requirements to see if you need to submit the PFMEA (part of the PPAP docs).

4. johnnymo77

johnnymo77 Active Member

Our company has designated the PFMEA as proprietary. We send the first page with the level 3 PPAP and a statement that full PFMEA is available for an onsite review.

5. Lahbib ALAOUA

Lahbib ALAOUA Member

The main thing you have to care about is the cotation of failure mods, you have to check the correspondance between what is done and whats is required bu the customer. You have to check if the critical characteristics have been identified is the PFMEA.

6. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

When I approve them I look for a few things.

1) Does it match the process flow diagram for sequence of operations?
    2) Does it make sense (the supplier typically is the subject matter expert, so this winds up being me asking clarifying questions and not really rejecting anything).
    3) I review the scores for Occurrence, Detection, and Severity and look at the high ones in each category.
    4) I review the RPN - same thing - look at the high ones.
    5) If 3&4 are high enough, I look at the action plan out to the right to sanity check it.
    6) I make sure it captures all key characteristics on my print.

Other than that, there's not much involved in an approval. It's ok to have "bad things" on it. That's the point - to identify risks.

7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Just to add with ncwalker's list of things to check. I attached our FMEA workshop output checklist for your reference.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

Atul Khandekar likes this.