1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IRCA Lead Auditor Training - worthwhile? hints & tips? 3rd party auditor career move?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by Englishman Abroad, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Englishman Abroad

Englishman Abroad Member

All,

I am thinking of taking the IRCA lead auditor training. Considering the (personal) financial investment (my company will not pay...), what is you opinion about whether it is worthwhile?

Do you have any hints and tips regarding the training, exam, and preparation?

(My background is a total of 20 yrs in Automotive, about 7 in various quality roles.)

Eventually I am contemplating a carreer move to qualify as a 3rd party auditor; Do you have any advice?

Thanks

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Yes! Setting the qualification aside for now (I'd go with the Excel/Bywater course) research your CB options very carefully. The life of a 3rd party auditor is made or broken by the way the CB operates, including refunding expenses and so on. Look at their customer satisfaction/retention. Look at their training/requalification and so on. Don't forget that being through the LA course, just makes you "canon fodder" and some will hire you, even without experience of CB audits but not pay you, as you're "not qualified"...(while you get experience). Your call how you arrange it, but these are issues you may wish to consider. I was offered jobs and, initially, I had to fund my travel etc. So the CB was going to make money off me!

3. Glenn0004

Glenn0004 Member

I completed 9001:2008 IRCA lead auditor training some time ago,which was funded by my employer; while this was worthwhile in helping me see the implementation of a QMS in a different light, it hasn't opened any other doors for me with an CB. I've identified that having experience in auditing different fields is the key to door, with some fields in higher demand than others.
    I'm currently considering self funding to complete the transition 9001:2015 IRCA lead auditor. Regardless, it's like taking on any new role with a new employer regarding reimbursement for travel or accommodation.

4. Andy Nichols

It won't. People who have been to lead auditor training and even passed an exam are 10 a penny, to be honest. You have to have the actual Exemplar Global/IRCA qualification to even get a chance to be considered as a CB auditor candidate.

5. Englishman Abroad

Englishman Abroad Member

Andy,
    Thanks for your insight. My current CB contact (who handles my certification contract) says that ISO 9001 & 14001 qualified lead Auditors are ten a penny in Europe too. I think therefore that I will have to contemplate the IS0 9001 training as an investment as a first step toward ISO TS 16949 LA qualification, and then even perhaps EN9100.

Thanks for your guidance about how CBs manage/pay their sub contract auditors, and also about getting the appropriate auditing experience.

Given that it is looking like I would have to do ISO 9001 then 14001, then ISO TS, in order to be less than ten a penny, however I need to think about the finanicals and discuss with the boss (at home).

6. Andy Nichols

Glad to have been of service. When you consider the TS auditor route, be mindful of the "automotive experience" requirements. Despite the fact that I have 10 years in automotive plants, from component suppliers (plastic molding and TS 16949) to Class "A" assembly plants (and everything in between, incl specialty, hand built cars) I cannot qualify! Bizarre! What they are looking for is someone who is very close to being an SQA type...