1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

PSW declaration

Discussion in 'APQP and PPAP' started by Plague Doctor, May 24, 2016.

1. Plague Doctor

Plague Doctor Member

Hello,

in PSW there is following declaration:

DECLARATION

I affirm that the samples represented by this warrant are representative of our parts, which were made by a process that meets all Production Part Approval Process Manual 4th Edition Requirements. I further affirm that these samples were produced at the production rate of / hours. I also certify that documented evidence of such compliance is on file and available for review. I have noted any deviations from the declaration below.

I'm interested in
    "production rate / hours"
    Should we mention here the potential capability like e.g. 2400 pcs / 8 hours
    or real quantity we actually produced for PPAP like we did a trial run 200 pcs / 1 hour

I mean for PPAP run we haven't reached the peak planned capability 300 pcs / 1 hour yet so what would be correct to declare?

Thanks.

2. Emmyd

Emmyd Member

We normally declare what came out of the PPAP run. We do a calculation on the full 300 piece run (or an adjusted smaller run depending on EAU or SQE preference), and this is the number we report for PPAP.

3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

The intent is for the actual rate at which the PPAP parts were manufactured.

4. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

You have pushed one of my hot buttons. :)

This section is severely misinterpreted in the industry. It is supposed to be an indication of the speed at which you produced the parts so that I (you're customer) don't think you made me jeweler's samples. So honestly, in truth, it's a rate per hour. Let's say you did your 300 pc PPAP run in 2 hrs. 300 / 2 is acceptable. 150 / 1 is acceptable, if you want to show your rate per hour. 1200 / 8 is also acceptable if you want to show your rate per shift. My personal preference is to do it / 1 or / 8 and adjust the numerator, even if it differs from 300 pieces.

Having said that, I have no idea what your ACTUAL customer will accept.

I do want to be clear on one thing - this is NOT a run at rate statement. It is by no means a binding number that you can be held to at a later date as you possible throughput, though people will try. It is simply what it says - an indication of the speed at which you made your PPAP parts.

If I was Emperor of the AIAG? I would get rid of the statement. It causes confusion - not what they are trying to accomplish. They should just change it to the statement "I further affirm that these samples were produced at intended production speed on intended production equipment, unless indicated by the attached exceptions."

This is a superior statement (my opinion) because:
    1) It says the intent, made on production equipment at production speeds.
    2) It contains a cue to you, the supplier, that if there is some exception where it is NOT full production equipment, you need to describe where it is different.

Backup: I have found, with the ever decreasing timelines, that oft times all the MACHINES are in place, but the material handling (conveyors, walking beams, etc) that move the components between machines may not be in place at the time of PPAP. That should be noted. In most cases, your customer will be OK with that. Second - I have never seen nor heard of anyone back checking this rate on the warrant against your run at rate to see if they match. We (supplier quality engineers) could, we just don't. Too busy. Therefore - not adding value, therefore delete it.

Plague Doctor likes this.
  5. Ganesh Sundaresan

Ganesh Sundaresan Active Member

Right away, your Customer is the Best one to answer this.
    However, it seems your Customer requirement is 300/hour, while your trial run was at 200/hour.
    Does it mean that you are not ready for Mass Production yet?
    In any case, wiser option is to mention the actual production rate i.e 200/hour along with your action plan to achieve the Customer requirement.