1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Mind Mapping

Discussion in 'FMEA - Failure Modes and Effects Analysis' started by QMSmaster, Mar 27, 2016.

1. QMSmaster

QMSmaster Active Member

Has anyone used mind Mapping techniques for doing FMEA's? We are experimenting with this so I am wondering if anyone else uses this approach?

2. Claes Gefvenberg

Claes Gefvenberg Moderator Staff Member

Actually... I started using mind mapping in ernest in the early 80'S, and have since used it for just about anything I can think of, including FMEA.
    I used it as a means to systematically come up with failure modes, and then enter those into the FMEA, but you may have other ideas? Do tell. Maybe we can learn from each other.

3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Can you share an example with us Claes? It sounds interesting.

4. QMSmaster

QMSmaster Active Member

We have been experimenting with using Mind Mapping to brainstorm failure modes and causes. Then we enter them into a spreadsheet for the usual RPN ratings. People seem to find the Mind mapping easier to brainstorm and it helps keep them interested. You can move a little faster also.

FreeMind is the mind mapping SW we use. It is free. http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It is a very useful tool to add to your tool box if you do not do this. You can mind map in Visio but FreeMind is the way to go.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  5. Claes Gefvenberg

That is more or less what I did, and I think it works very well. As for software, there is an abundance to choose from, but I agree that a dedicated mind mapping application should be used.

Examples... I have not been doing this for a long time, but I will check if I still have something. I would use a mind map to create an Ishikawa diagramme of sorts, and if you branch out five times it also gives you a 5w as a bonus.

6. Claes Gefvenberg

Ok, I have had a look, and... apparently it was too long ago: I could not find any examples.