1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Monitoring and measuring devices

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Manish Sawant, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Manish Sawant

Manish Sawant Member

Hello friends,

I always get confused and fail to explain myself on what is the difference between monitoring devices and measuring devices? I know that instruments like calipers are measuring devices but then i cannot think much about monitoring devices. Could some one please provide different examples on application of these in your respective industries. I would also appreciate any suggestion on implementation of monitoring & measurement clause requirements as given in ISO standards (9001: 2008 and 2015). Thanks for your time.

2. MarkMeer

MarkMeer Well-Known Member

I understand your inquiry, but I don't know that the distinction is overly important, as monitoring devices are a subset of measuring devices.

In my experience, the two terms are often used together, and when "monitoring device" is used alone, it usually refers to either:

1. A device that is taking continuous measurements of a process parameter (e.g. a humidity gauge in a controlled production environment); or
    2. A device that takes regular measurements used to evaluate/monitor a process (e.g. a scale that weighs outgoing product to ensure it's within acceptable range)

In either case, these can all just be referred to as "measuring devices".

3. Candi1024

Candi1024 Well-Known Member

To throw in another example, a metal detector in a food production facility would be considered a monitoring device. There are no measurements taken, but it monitors the product.

tony s and Claes Gefvenberg like this.
  4. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

The two terms are not mutually exclusive. Monitoring includes a time element implying periodic measurement/test, whereas measurement has no implication of time (i.e., it could be single OR periodic). I don't believe the standard requires you to distinguish between the two as long as you address everything that falls into either category. Given that, the examples suggested above are good examples.

tony s likes this.
  5. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

When you need to MONITOR something (e.g. process variation, measurement bias, acceptance rate, air/water quality, vital signs, etc.) you'll need MEASURING EQUIPMENT/DEVICES (e.g. variable and attribute gauges).

6. Randy A. Kaczynski

Randy A. Kaczynski Member

Referring to ISO 9000:2015 --

monitoring

determining (3.11.1) the status of a system (3.5.1), a process (3.4.1), a product (3.7.6), a service (3.7.7), or an activity

measurement

process (3.4.1) to determine a value

Miner likes this.
  7. Hari Shanker Yadav

Hari Shanker Yadav New Member

thanks Randy,
    ou have provided good explanation