1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Upgrade to iso 9001:2015 from iso9001:2008

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by Sapna Sharma, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

How would you know it's the actual text? Presumably, you can compare it to your copy (original) of the standard...

2. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

I presume you are of the camp that a company must have a [current] purchased copy of the standard? This is an entirely different question, as I pointed out earlier.

I am simply acknowledging that much, if not all the contents of the standard eventually spill out on the web. For those of us who followed the development of 2015 for the past 3-4 years, we have the releases that were obtainable [free] up to the DIS, and the final version focused on only a few changes in wording which are widely discussed on any number of forums. Being that 80% of 2015 was a rehash of 2008, there is not much left to investigate, just Annex SL, and some of the details like RBT and environmental conditions. Each CB is kind enough to furnish details on these differences in various matrices as part of their marketing, so there is little left to ponder. Forums like this can easily fill in any missing blanks.
    As to whether the company should have to buy a copy, that has been discussed before, many times.

3. wessex

wessex Member

Andy - I prefer Management systems and I dont really like companies that dont have one !!!! you need to have processes, but not huge 300+ pages - staff will never read them... I was in an organisation once who wrote huge procedures that no-one ever read, what a waste of time, make it short sharp and to the point, dont deviate from what your meant to do... staff will get turned off and never read it..

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Frequently, we see - even here on QFO - organizations that develop "management systems" which conform to the black-and-white of the applicable standard's requirements, but fail to comprehend the spirit of it. To be fair to the International Organization for Standardization, trying to articulate 'spirit' and 'intent' is nearly impossible to do - which is why there is still the need to interpret the requirements. This type of dilemma extends beyond the world of management systems. Consider legal and political debates on topics such as the USA's "right to bear arms" or moral issues regarding abortion.

Going back to your example of the organization with the plethora of procedures, this situation is created because the organization believes that conformance to a standard is merely checking off the tick-box beside the requirement. What the organization has failed to do is understand that a management system is about developing a culture regarding consistency, standardization, excellence, and accountability. Having those procedures is a first step...but using these defined (and documented) processes to develop training programs, or understand where metrics touch the processes (to facilitate nonconformance analyses or improvement initiatives), or to help demonstrate process capability when bidding on jobs/projects...these types of "going beyond the procedures" aren't spelled out in the standard. However, when an organization understands the true power of interconnected processes, it can take these procedures they've created and turn them into something truly wonderful and value-added to the organization and its stakeholders.

Part of a management system is standardization. This does not necessarily mean procedure after procedure after procedure...but for the companies that take this route, having them 'blame' ISO or some other standard for their paperwork is often their own inability to see beyond the typed word of the standard. As for having all that documentation, it can come in handy for organizations that have high turn-over or unstable processes or inconsistent results...but the documentation is only effective if it's used properly. You're not going to find "develop effective documentation" in the standard, yet it's implied as one of the means to "achieve planned results."

5. Andy Nichols

And, I'd wager, that often that's because people took the easy path and bought "ISO in a can", instead of buying the standard and reading/understanding it!
    Which costs more than buying the standard, reading and understanding where and why documentation was required...
    True, yet we also know that countless discussions are had by those who DON'T know this stuff and they are often influenced by the "throw-away" comments of those who profess to "know the standard". As Roxane states to well:
    These people often state unequivocally what must or must not happen, according to "ISO", yet upon reading the standard, nothing such can be found! My question is, if the standard is parsed in this way, instead of spending a relatively small amount of money (compared with other business spending) the cost ends up being as wessex describes above...

Oh, and what does it cost to have someone browsing websites/forums in the (vain) hope of collecting all the requirements, notes, vocab etc. compared to buying a copy?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  6. wessex

wessex Member

Its all words - if the Top team want an ISO and dont understand or dont want too - it doesnt matter how much culture training and enthusiasm a quality person brings to an organisation, Top teams want bonuses and financial gain... if an ISO doesnt bring that most are not interested, whether you work in a company of 100 or 12500, I have worked in both... Top teams are supposed to be on board under 9001:2015, lets see.... You go on about the US, but I was involved in 18001 with a US company and there safety was way below the standard of the UK (during audit), I was in Canada and saw workmen in the street with no PPE, grinding, cutting etc. It does make me wonder what other countries follow. In Europe, Belgium, France etc arent interested what comes out of Brussels and the European Parliament. I have seen it as been around there. We may all want to achieve and be the best, but if you dont have a budget and backing then you cant achieve and the company just exists with a certificate ! just saying, dont knock me.. the worker... I have tried and been frustrated even with big companies (multi-world-wide) its all about money mad !!! Dont get lost in translation - we all want to do the best we can, under the circumstances. Andy if you are a guru, good luck in your pursuit of quality dreams. There is more enjoyment out there than just quality.... does it really mean that a company can be "quality" - in my experience no.. and never gets it right first time, human nature... chill guys have a good weekend - quality and ISO free....

7. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

To be honest, I think we're all dancing about the same point here...however, our dance moves just happen to be different.

If the top management (please note, I said 'management' and not 'leadership') merely want that piece of paper on the wall, I don't care who they bring in - be it one individual or a plethora of consultants from a world-renowned firm - no sustainable organizational culture shift towards excellence will occur.

To buy the standard, yes, it costs money...money that can clearly be identified on someone's accounting spreadsheet. Time spent here on QFO, trying to learning about the requirements...that costs money, too, however, it's not so clearly definable on an accounting spreadsheet. How we go about implementing a management system is unique to each organization and what's important is that something is developed that adds value to the organization. How the organization defines 'value'...well...that's a whole separate discussion. It could simply be that piece of paper on the wall...or it could evolve into something culturally spectacular.

8. Andy Nichols

Nope. Actually I'm Church of England. No dreams, either, just well experienced in effective (and ineffective) management systems. And, finally, I guess it depends on your definition of "quality" and "enjoyment": I drive a 1998 Range Rover - who some lambast as "poor quality" - yet for me, it's a great vehicle which I enjoy daily...

9. PaulJSmith

PaulJSmith Well-Known Member

While this was undoubtedly a very entertaining conversation, I fear it swerved severely off-course. I'm left wondering if the original question was sufficiently answered. It doesn't appear that the poster stayed long. Perhaps there were some language/translation challenges.

This is a good topic, and I'd hate to see her come here for answers and go away with unresolved questions.

10. Andy Nichols

I thought it was answered in the first few posts...