1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Organisation reluctant to merge 9001 & 14001 Management Systems.

Discussion in 'ISO 14001:2015 - Environmental Management Systems' started by MonsterEnergy22, Jan 4, 2024.

1. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Good Morning everyone, a quick question.

We're currently certified to ISO 9001, I believe my organisation is also beginning to pursue ISO 14001 certification, I suggested that we simply merge the two Management systems as we build them due to their similarities, I was told:
    "No, because that means the 14001 content within our manual is then up for scrutiny/auditable by ISO 9001 Auditor's.

This doesn't sound right to me, surely a 9001 auditor would simply overlook any content within our QMS that addresses 14001 requirements & vice versa? it has absolutely no relevancy to them at all. I'm absolutely positive I'm right here?

Have a nice day,

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Monster! Happy New Year!
    As with some questions there are a number of answers: Firstly, if you chose to have 2 separate audits, then each auditor should stick to their respective scopes/criteria. Of course, I write this with a cautionary note, since it will be very dependent on who you get as an auditor and so on.

It is far more cost effective - from an audit cost standpoint - to merge the management systems and have one, dually-qualified auditor do both audits at the same time. In which case, it's a moot point (I can't imagine why anyone would be making that excuse to you). Perhaps they had bad experiences previously...

3. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Hi Andy, Happy New Year to you too! Hope all is well!

That makes sense & clarifies/confirms what I was thinking.

I never considered the cost though, so thanks for bringing that to my attention, should this topic pop up again it's definitely a great point to put across.

Thanks for your help as always Andy, I hope you have a great year!

4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Absolutely what @Andy Nichols said.

Integration will help prevent redundancy, inconsistencies, etc..etc..etc... SOOO....many aspects of 9001 and 14001 'overlap' .

Be well.

MonsterEnergy22 and Andy Nichols like this.
  5. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

I would suggest that you already have a single management system ("how you run the business"), with perhaps two sets of documentation aimed at showing compliance with separate standards. While you may need or choose to have independent processes for (eg) auditing against each standard, most other aspects of business will be common. Define your system for the business, not for an auditor!

MonsterEnergy22 and Andy Nichols like this.