1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Processes, procedures and requirements

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Andrew Murray, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Yes, Plan-Do-Check-Act... That I agree with, however, how do you distinguish between "Correction" and "Corrective action"?

If I do some planned process and a defined parameter isn’t met, I can correct it. If I do a process and a parameter is not met and the output results and causes failure (I’m speaking in very broad terms here), I might elect to take corrective action (determine cause) based on the degree of risk (impact to $$, timing and/or customer/reg requirement).

2. PatriciaCRavanello

PatriciaCRavanello Member

Dear Andy,
    W.A.D.R.....I've never heard such a load of nitpicking, hair-splitting, nonsensical gobbledegook!

Are you saying that an activity undertaken to right the failure of a "planned process" is a "correction"....and an activity undertaken to right the failure of an "unplanned process" is a corrective action!!?? Really??? I'd love to see your model of a procedural flow chart to map out that line of thought.

What constitutes an "unplanned process"? If it's unplanned, why would it have a "parameter" associated with it? (I take it that you mean a "measurable metric")?
    If you went to the trouble of defining a "parameter", wouldn't that imply that the process was "planned"?

Why the need to split hairs? What does it accomplish? And you still haven't distinguished for me, how the two "correcting" processes differ (other than that they flow from different sources of failure).

I don't get it....and if you don't answer, that's all right. I don't think I care to pursue this level of dialogue, it's non-productive, and I hate to confuse the neophytes who rely on the guidance found here.

Thanks for your efforts anyway...sometimes it's better to agree to disagree.

Patricia

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  3. Andy Nichols

Thanks for sharing! I'm not sure how this comment fits in to adult discussion.

If you'd care to take a look at at ISO 9001, non-conformance correction has always been an option - specifically for non-conforming product. Corrective action is clearly and distinctly different. Anyone who conflates correcting non-conformance with corrective action is making a big mistake, IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  4. PatriciaCRavanello

PatriciaCRavanello Member

No conflation going on at this end. Please note that my Procedural level documents include "Control of Non-conforming Product" as a separate entity, not to be confused with "Corrective and Preventive Action and Continual Improvement" where the interaction between these two procedures is clearly noted.

I think that possibly when you use the term "correction", you're referring to things like correcting a typo, trying to use a phillips head screwdriver when a flat-head is required, or discovering that you've used a tool that is not calibrated accurately. Yes, I would say these constitute a 'correction', but this level of "correction" does not even typically make it to the Procedural level documents, and that's what I thought we were talking about. It might be captured in the subordinate "Work Instruction" level documents, but many companies have done away with WI's citing "operator knowledge and experience" as justification.

It also occurred to me that you might be talking about the "short-term" action taken to stop a non-conformity, versus the "long-term" fix, which, as an example in automotive terms, might mean conducting an 8-d, Six Sigma, root-cause analysis, etc.,

Wouldn't it be nice if we had more "standardized" terminology?

Patricia

5. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

I know we all get excited about CAPA discussions and such.

Let's remain civil here and not get to much on the personal attack mode. Eh?
    :)

RonR Quality Pro likes this.
  6. BradM

Sometimes I wonder if we talk more about Correction, Corrective Action, Preventive Action that actually doing it. :)

My definitions:

Correction- something is wrong, incorrect, out of tolerance. That wrong thing needs to be fixed.
    Corrective Action: Enacting activity to prevent the same failure that had to be corrected.
    Preventive Action: Action to avoid similar failures in the future.
    I think my suggestion would be for each organization to define what the terms means. Then (and much more important) the company dedicate its time and effort into actually studying failures to really understand what failed and why. Once that is done, the actions to correct and prevent become much more apparent.

7. Andy Nichols

I'd disagree - as a dog owner, of a 90 lb Golden Retriever who liked to run (after deer mainly).

Preventive action is: I know (because when he saw deer in the back yard he got really, really excited) he's going to run after them if I open the door and am not paying attention, hence I am going to need to do something to restrain him or remove his seeing the deer. I can't control the deer coming in the yard, I may not be able to restrain him if he's seen them and committed to running after them (even if he wears a collar, a 90 lb dog takes some stopping) so, I installed a way to stop him seeing the deer out of the one window (at his eye line. (Potential) problem avoided...

8. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

In my previous manufacturing world, we did define (and document to the best of our ability) the difference between a correction and corrective action.

To your point of short-term versus long-term actions, our corrective action process included taking action to contain/mitigate the situation before delving into root cause determination and action planning. For example (and by now means an all-encompassing situation):

Situation: During the loading of product onto a flat-bed trailer, the stacked product spilled off of the flat-bed and onto the live warehouse laneway.
    Correction: Immediately stopped all loading activities and blocked truck traffic into the warehouse.
    Corrective Action - Root Cause: [insert root cause(s) here]
    Corrective Action - Action Plan: [insert activities here]
    etc.

However, we also had a matrix - which we reviewed and updated on an annual basis - that outlined many (I will not say 'all') scenarios where a correction was sufficient (i.e., corrective action not required). We recognized that non-conforming product and process was worthy of being a data point in our analysis, however, it was not feasible, practical, or sustainable to analyze every non-conformance.

While it has been a while since I was involved in this process, so I may not have all the details you would appreciate, yet hopefully the gist is here:

Customer complaints
    Correction only - (1) Complaint value < $x, (2) Complaint frequency < x complaints with same customer+product combination within a certain timeframe
    Corrective action - (2) Complaint value > $y, (3) Complaint frequency > x complaints with same customer+product combination within a certain timeframe

Unscheduled downtime
    Correction only - (1) Unscheduled downtime < x minutes for all product except Product A
    Corrective action - (1) Any unscheduled downtime, regardless of duration, if Product A is being manufactured, (2) Unscheduled downtime > x minutes for all product

Internal audits
    Correction only - (1) Low risk internal audit findings including, but not limited to, typos, grammar mistakes, formatting
    Corrective action - (1) A finding that directly relates to a requirement documented within the audit scope (i.e., standard or business management system), (2) A recurring/systemic situation adversely impacting the ability to meet requirements

On an annual (at a minimum) basis, we would review data points to determine if our correction/corrective action trigger points needed to be shifted ensuring effective use of our resources while keeping our focus on higher risk/impact scenarios.

Jennifer Kirley, tony s and BradM like this.
  9. BradM

Andy... the problem is.... I agree with your take too. That's the challenge we face with standards throwing out these terms as a requirement, without clear definitions.

I personally think your definition and mine are equally valid. That's why we need to spell out what we're calling Preventive Action in our organizations.

If your dog happens to catch a deer (which is close to impossible) I'll split processing costs with you for chili, sausage, backstrap, and some jerky.

10. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Folks I am surprised that you are even debating this.
    ISO9000 defines both terms:
    3.12.3 correction: action to eliminate a detected nonconformity
    3.12.2 corrective action: action to eliminate the cause of a nonconformity and to prevent recurrence.

And ISO have at last had the good sense to remove the term "preventive action" since it caused confusion when put alongside "corrective action" - one took place after the event and the other before it might occur.
    For example, the handle fell off the cup - correction is to glue it back on, corrective action is to use stronger glue from now on...

tony s likes this.
  11. Andy Nichols

Yeah he tried a few times! Don't let the demur, handsome good looks fool you! This boy had killer instincts!

upload_2023-1-26_11-6-48.jpeg

BradM likes this.
  12. Andy Nichols

Exactly so...

13. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I agree with @pkfraser here.

Both correction and corrective action are reactive. You do either of them or both of them as an "after the fact" measure. Correction focuses on addressing "WHAT went wrong" and its effect/s. Corrective action focuses on addressing "WHY it went wrong" with the intention to prevent "WHAT went wrong" from happening again.

Preventive action is proactive. A "before the event" measure. It focuses on addressing "WHAT can went wrong" and its probable cause/s. It's just proper that the current versions of ISO standards removed this from the Act phase of the PDCA cycle and placed it in the "Plan" phase of the PDCA cycle to serve as a risk-based thinking tool for the organizations' planning process.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    pkfraser and Andy Nichols like this.
  14. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

I would go further - preventive action is built into how you make decisions at various stages of most if not all processes. I have always thought it strange that folk think that it is a "process" in its own right.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  15. Andy Nichols

Amen, brother Fraser...

pkfraser likes this.
  16. andic

andic Member

If one puts "corrective actions" in place aren't they there to prevent future occurrences and therefore also "preventive actions"? :rolleyes: I think that playing with words like this can bog people down and I have known quality staff who just seem to enjoy dancing around on this and other phraseological pinheads.

For what it is worth I think the two official terms "Correction" (of the product) and "Corrective action" (to the quality system) are too similar. We use remedial action and corrective action in our documentation.

eg:
    During melting of alloy
    Liquid metal sample sulphur is out of spec high
    fix the product deviation: desulphurisation treatment and resample
    stop it from happening again: find the source of the S update the raw materials composition or quarantine that batch, possible SNC. If we were always dealing with surprises like this we would look at increased incoming materials inspection and sampling/testing, changes to purchasing specs, changing supplier etc

17. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Ground hog’s day.
    Words have meaning, context matters and the standard has been as clear as possible as to the operational definitions.
    People who try to debate it are just contract lawyers who want to pick fights about anything and everything.

tony s and Andy Nichols like this.
  18. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Bev
    You are being very generous towards the myriad of ISO committees and sub-committees responsible for the choice of words. At least they do occasionally make improvements.
    If there is an obvious area of confusion then it needs to be addressed (or avoided in the first place) - ie corrected or prevented(!) It is essential that there is a common understanding of the concepts.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  19. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Well that’s why ISO eliminated Preventive Actions and went to Risk based thinking in the latest version

Andy Nichols likes this.
  20. Andy Nichols

Hopefully it was also based on a) common sense and b) an overwhelming amount of feedback which stated (in basic terms) "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?":D

Preventive actions aren't "procedure" related, they are part of planning to mitigate issues. I believe that part of the problem is that we've become so used to being told (especially by regulatory agencies and major customers) that when corrective action is required to "make sure it can't also happen to other products/processes/suppliers/activities etc. that people have trouble differentiating. We know that in some industries, "CAPA" is commonly referenced. For those of us in the quality profession we need to be come advocates for effective PLANNING = preventive actions...

pkfraser and tony s like this.