1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Lessons learned database

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by russell nugent, Dec 6, 2022.

1. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

I having been giving an unfavourable task of creating a lessons learned database . I am reaching out for tips / hints at how a user friendly version of this would look . For example how to include processes , pictures ,fault category and how this is accessible form quality and shop floor .

2. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

Speaking from painful experience, do NOT make it complex.....make it as simple as possible. My experience has been that the document will be treated as yet another 'checkbox' to satisfy a CSR, and will never actually be USED for the intended purpose.

There are probably those here who will disagree with me, but in 30 years of QA, over 8 different companies, that has (sadly) been my experience.

3. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

Sounds like a knee-jerk reaction from management. Are computers available on the quality and shop floor? If so, a Wiki is a handy way to present information. It's difficult to imagine that folks would "go check the lessons learned database" before doing things but maybe.

4. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

Unfortunately it has became a tick box exercise but there have been a couple of issues recently that would have benefited from a LL data base .ie - it would have stopped us making mistake or prompted us to ask for verification for go ahead .Thanks for reply's though.

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Isn't the "lessons learned" database, the actual QMS? If we had made mistakes, surely the lessons learned should be incorporated into the QMS?

6. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

This could easily escalate into a makes-work project that adds little value for the time it needs, however, I can appreciate how it might have prevented a few recent issues. Some food for thought:

• Were the recent issues similar to previously resolved issues? If so, has the effectiveness of the previous issues' resolutions been looked into?
    • As part of a corrective action resolution - and even preventive action - add a factor for scalability; that is, can the actions be applied to other processes/areas?
    • I googled 'lessons learned database' and many hits came up - I'd suggest having a look at several and consider which categories are relevant to your organization
    • Keep it simple:
      • Theme - improvement, risk management, customer experience, etc.
      • Process - production, human resources, I.T., project management, etc.
      • Date - this could help in sorting for more relevant/recent issues
      • Source - internal/external audit, inspection, complaint, etc.
      • Impact - process efficiency, product quality, financial, resource usage, etc.
      • Linked records - include a link to a corrective action or other quality record that can be pulled for full reference and more details
      • Lesson Learned - open text field to capture the details of the lesson learned

tony s likes this.
  7. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It seems to me to be counterintuitive to bury information about what was learned about making mistakes in yet another place, possibly isolated from the organization’s QMS. If a (documented) process was followed and performed less than planned, then surely, the lessons learned become part of correcting either the documented process or something which supports implementation. There should be zero need to go look some place else. Meantime, who is ensuring process corrections?

tony s likes this.
  8. andic

andic Member

Initially I thought this too. But depending on the size of the organisation and degree of communication it might be helpful. Most of the time SOP's are updated due to some local failing - an audit finding or to solve a problem with the product and it is a closed loop in a small part of the process. If you could find away to advertise the warning signs and preventative actions to other areas working with similar processes it could be helpful. Maybe.

An email news letter system might be good, what happened, how it was fixed and who to speak to if you think your area could be affected?

I wouldn't like to have the job of organizing and keeping it going though

9. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Recording the lessons learned from many sources such as solutions made on operation's problems, dealing with customer claims, addressing QEHS issues, etc. can be assigned to key functions like the production manager, safety officer, pollution control officer.

The same responsible functions should then communicate the "learnings" (through operation's meetings, toolbox meetings or stand down meetings) to the relevant people to make them available for use.