1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.
  1. YASEER BIN ROSDI

YASEER BIN ROSDI Member

Good day all,

I would like to ask a question.

My company have never done a supplier audit before. But we need to do it to meet the VDA requirement.

However, here's the deal.

In my company, non of us had ever attend audit training, not to mention any lead auditor certification programme.

Can we still go to audit our supplier in this case ?

If yes, what type of audit that are suitable for our company to conduct on our supplier?

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @YASEER BIN ROSDI ;
    Based on your VDA comment, I will assume your organization is providing to the automotive industry. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1- ISO 9001 has no requirement for any auditor training. The standard, simply requires ...
    a) competency
    b) impartiality

2- IATF additionally requires understanding of ...
    - automotive process approach (???)
    - applicable CSR
    - manufacturing process...pfmea/control plan.
    - applicable core tools (AIAG)

(of course there may be customer specific or via customer contract. Specifically GM CSR has extremely specific requirements).

In short, unless the customer requires it, there is no specific requirement for "training" or "certification".

In my experience, the control plan (again, assuming your organization is automotive), is an excellent auditing tool/map. Remember, the control plan is a contract with your organization. It dictates HOW your supplier commits to making your product and the controls they claim to have in place.

I counsel additionally that your organization has a clear purpose and scope of the audit. Why are you auditing? Has your supplier been failing? Is it specific to a recent non conformance? Is it verification of an instituted corrective action? Is it supplier development...working with your supplier to mentor and help them improve their processes / service?

Ensuring your supplier is well communicated to (scope/purpose), staying on task, and not trying to "catch" them doing something "wrong", will tend to make your supplier more receptive and less defensive.

Hope this helps.
    Be well.

tony s and RonR Quality Pro like this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Can you share the actual requirement?