1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

AS9102 vs. Inspection Data

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by gvala, Jul 28, 2022.

1. gvala

gvala Member

Hello Everyone,

I am receiving feedback from a third part source inspector having issue with our deliverables. Per purchase order requirements we have to send a FAIR as well as a report of key design characteristics. These requirements are on each PO line item and there is one part per line item.

The issue the source inspector has is that we treat each part as if it is a new FA with a new FAIR, as we have to report a majority of the dimensions anyway.

The question that I have is " Is it common to send two different styles of reports? ( the true fair And some other form of inspection report for an individual part number)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Is it common to send two different styles of reports?

what does your customer agreement state?

3. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

My first thought is that you are simply providing more data (inspecting and recording dimensions for all characteristics on the drawing) than required.
    I’m not sure why this would be an issue with the source inspector unless they are just looking for an excuse to pick on you.

Most suppliers are resistant to completing a first article when it is required…

If there are two different styles’ of reports that are called out I suppose the source inspector has a point but it is about form over content.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. gvala

gvala Member

The terms and conditions of the customer state that when inspection data is required that AS9102 form 3 or equivalent is to be used. They are also asking us to report 70% of dimension with tolerance ( non basic dimension which need to be checked anyways to determine the GD&T callouts)

So the only extra information I am really giving them is Form 1 and Form 2 . Seems like they are just out to pick on me

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Some Inspection folk have the wrong mentality - they are paid to find things wrong. Flag it to the Purchasing agent and tell them if they (the Inspector) insists, they will pay.