1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Transforming Current QMS

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by ISO9001TD, Jun 15, 2022.

1. ISO9001TD

ISO9001TD Member

Hi Everyone,

I need your advice. I am a new senior manager with an aerospace defense company. We have a very small QMS team of only 4 including me. We are responsible for ISO 9001 and AS 9100 quality audits, regulatory compliance, DCMA and DCAA, CMMI, and CMMC. We oversee 4 factories around the US. My goal is to do more with less instead of less with less. I want to implement force multipliers that will allow my small team to be high performing and effective. Above all, I need to transform our current QMS into a high-performing and effective system including an effective team structure.

Here is my plan:

1. Staff member "A" will be assigned as the "lead" quality auditor. Staff member "B" will be an auditor (not a lead). Both will be assigned two locations each, both will be responsible for any and all matters concerning ISO 9001 and AS 9100 at their assigned locations including any other locations (i.e., admin offices). These two will also manage CMMI as well. Staff member "C" will be assigned to oversee any and all matters concerning DCMA, DCAA, and CMMC. Each staff will be cross-trained. All staff will be given authority and the support they need to make decisions and carry out the continuous improvement.

2. First, Identify 5-year major and minor NC trends. Attack the 20% causing 80% of the problems. Then create audit schedules where the crucial or high-risk processes will be audited quarterly or twice a year. Low-risk processes will be audited just once a year or every other year. Well-established processes that run efficiently can be audited once a year or every other year. Newly developed processes should be audited more frequently, for example, quarterly, until they are stable.

3. Reduce paper-based systems. Prune documents, policies, procedures, forms, etc. Automate wherever possible. Implement an electronic QMS system. Create a centralized e-folder for all rules and regulations and standards. Update as necessary.

4. Create quality working groups within the company. For example, get all the factory managers together in a meeting to discuss solutions to problems. Additionally, create a QMS that will promote workers and customers to share improvement ideas and feedback. Annual staff and customer quality surveys.

5. Establish a quality training program for new and existing staff. Instill that quality is everyone's responsibility. Train factory and office personnel to be internal auditors.

6. Create a factory internal audit program. Train factory workers to be internal auditors. Create a schedule. The factory's internal auditors will audit one process each month of the year for a total of 12 processes audited annually. Internal auditors will write reports and submit them to our unit. Our unit will critique the audit reports and provide feedback to the factory's internal auditors for continuous improvement.

This is a very rough draft of my plan, but any advice or suggestions you can give is greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any suggested KPIs, that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Hi ISO 9001TD! Great question. From what you've written, my take is that, firstly, without knowing what currently exists, it's going to be very difficult - for anyone - to provide (positive) commentary about the plan. I have a ton of question, not least of which is, from you comment above: Do you really mean "I", or "We"?

John C. Abnet likes this.
  3. ISO9001TD

ISO9001TD Member

Yes, I mean “we.” We are experiencing a lot of problems with compliance in general. Our DCMA audits are becoming more rigorous and our CMMC certifications are becoming more expensive. We have had a lot of conformance issues in the factories as well. Overall, our current structure and system is not exactly effective and focusing on where it should be focusing. It’s very inefficient and expensive. Most of our staff our not specifically assigned to areas and are not traveling to locations. We’re sort of stagnant and not staying on top of tasks. Right now we are trying to transition to a electronic document control system as well. That’s the current situation.

4. Andy Nichols

The organization has 4 locations? Approximately how many heads in each?

From a Leadership point of view, this worries me more than the DCMA/CMMC issues. Those cannot be controlled, for various reasons. From my perspective, this isn't something 4 people in the Quality Department are going to fix the way your plan describes.

5. ISO9001TD

ISO9001TD Member

What would you suggest? I don’t have any other staff at this time, so I need to make do with what I have now for the time being. That’s why I am looking for force multiplier opportunities where I can leverage one person to be able accomplish as much as two or three people. How can I leverage my staff? What would you advise? How would you structure the team? Maybe we might need to outsource help with DCMA and DCAA? Above all, I am trying to figure out a way to setup a high performing system with an effective and efficient team. My boss wants us to create a world class QMS that is top quality. We need to be on autopilot and smoothly functioning, that is our goal. I would like to split quality and compliance into two separate sections of the hierarchy. I want each set of staff to have accountability and ownership of each area.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  6. Andy Nichols

I'd start with a clear problem statement. I read a lot of symptoms in your description and before any kind of problem solving - including containing the symptoms - can occur, it's important to have a clear, clean description.

I recall listening to a clinical psychologist with a phone-in radio show, back in the 1990's - Dr. Joy Brown. She would get callers ranting about this and that and, at the end she'd say, tell me what the problem is, go to a commercial break and then the caller would tell her...

7. ISO9001TD

ISO9001TD Member

Yes, that makes total sense. What would be the best way of doing that? Surveying staff? Looking at nonconformance and noncompliance trends (5yr, 10yr?)? I’m new to this role, so I’m trying to figure out the best way to approach this whole thing.

8. Andy Nichols

Let's start with your description. If you can articulate it, it may be that your leadership will agree when presented with it. In that case, you can avoid 1,000 opinions/symptoms

ISO9001TD likes this.
  9. Andy Nichols

I wouldn't be using this as a starting point. It depends far too heavily on the actual issue being reported in the NCs - grading is meaningless IMHO. If you want to start a transformation, use the cost of goods sold (or cost of poor quality, but that puts you at a disadvantage, immediately).

Nothing is further from managements' list of nightmares than documentation. Don't make this any kind of priority. The only documentation you need to work on are the green, folding ones with a dead president on them.

Aren't they already holding similar meetings? Who has time for MORE meetings? Effective management doesn't need more meetings, it has fewer, more effectively organized events with purpose.

Not sure what tis is. Drop the name "Quality" or you'll end up creating a monster and feeding it. Isn't there a training process already? "Training" doesn't make people responsible for quality. Managements' behaviors do...

Sorry, this won't do anything positive. It's what everyone else does and it doesn't do anything but create animosity towards the whole audit program. Auditors will not want to do the audits, management won't give them the time, people will be too busy to help run "your" internal audit program and you'll end up doing them, thus wasting a considerable investment in disruptive training (even IF the training is any good, which I doubt) with no return.

You'll likely feel this is a bit brutal, however, as Dr Deming once said, (I'm paraphrasing) "If you want to do things better, you can't reply on using the same things which got you to this point"...

10. ISO9001TD

ISO9001TD Member

Wow, thank you, this gives me a whole new perspective. Are you basically saying that I should give staff my expectations, empower them, and let the QMS transform and become better organically? As a result overtime, my staff who are boots on the ground, will find ways and become more inspired to change areas that matter most? Rather than me trying to dictate and come up with a plan?

11. Andy Nichols

You are welcome.

In essence, yes. That is, for the most part, Leadership.

12. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

You haven't had that conversation - or survey, as you mentioned in another post, @ISO9001TD - so coming up with such a detailed plan at this point seems a bit premature. Have you had time to gauge the company culture regarding change and regimented roles? If you're new to the organization, I can appreciate the desire to make changes in an attempt to demonstrate your value, however, there is something to be said for being a sponge at the moment. Eyes and ears open...mouth closed. Learn what's going on and, more importantly, why they do what they do, before trying to change anything.

Jennifer Kirley and Andy Nichols like this.
  13. ISO9001TD

ISO9001TD Member

Thank you all for your help. This post has helped me tremendously.

Andy Nichols likes this.