1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Quality Professionals - are we missing the mark?

Discussion in 'Professional Certifications and Degrees' started by Andy Nichols, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

As my hair grows thinner and greyer, I ponder that as Quality Professionals we're missing the mark in many ways. We like to talk a lot about the "mechanics" of Quality, such as ISO, SPC, auditing, calibration, variation, continuous improvement and so on (ad nauseum). But aren't we missing the mark? Aren't we actually in the "people business"? Aren't we really best suited to understanding the human condition and why so much of what affects "Quality" comes from that human condition?

I am interested to know your opinions, because as I practice things like change, training, process improvements etc. I rediscover the impact the human condition has on how effective those "Quality" things are. Shouldn't Quality professionals understand a lot of human psychology, as well as the tools of Quality?

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

The camp of human psychology has had me in one its tents for a while now.

We become so focused on the rules, regulations, shalls, and details - the WHAT and HOW - that we forget about the WHY. Not just WHY we do this but WHY it matters.

Perhaps it doesn't help that the mechanics of Quality are so black and white. It can be difficult to acknowledge the grey...and what is more grey than the human condition?

WattsJA and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. Andy Nichols

You've been "loitering within tents"? (it's an English law thing, btw) :D

4. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

I think it’s both. I do know that if we don’t pay attention to the human condition and needs we cannot be successful with the tools. Even if we teach the right tools.

Miner and Andy Nichols like this.
  5. Andy Nichols

I'm unfamiliar with the various ASQ criteria, - are aspects of psychology in, for example, the CQM qualification?

I'm currently engaged wit the UK's Chartered Quality Institute "Competency Framework" and the presence of any type of understanding of psychology is missing from what I see...

6. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Andy Nichols likes this.
  7. Andy Nichols

8. WattsJA

WattsJA Member

I'm new to this forum (and the civilian sector of Quality Management) and so far this site has been an unexpected gem. You mention Quality focusing so hard on the "mechanics" and missing the mark - but I pose this: A well built QMS (well maintained, clear, concise, and intuitive) can use those mechanics to create an environment that harnesses that human factor to encourage quality results and output. There will always be those intangibles - empathy, communication skills, charisma - that enhance the process and results. But if the process rewards us, (in any number of ways) we often strive to meet that standard.

As a manager, I always found that if I treat my people well they take care of the business. As Quality, I've tried to bring that same approach. Find an error during an audit? Use the function lead (or whoever is responsible for what's being audited) as a partner to figure out root causes, brainstorm solutions, and institute corrections.

9. Andy Nichols

Welcome WattsJA - we appreciate that you've discovered us and think of the forum as a gem.

Agreed! TBH, I've yet to witness such a thing (but then my work is usually at the start of building them, so they might exist, but I've not experienced it.

How would you describe the characteristics of such a mythical (?) beast?

10. WattsJA

WattsJA Member

Thanks! The answer isn't easy. Unicorns are rare, after all.

I imagine this -
    Policies and procedures are developed from inside of the functional department. They have a uniformity across all departments as well - at least to the extent possible. Simple things, like the same font, font size, layout, numbering system. They're in a user friendly format as well. I prefer PDF (searchable, not a flattened image) for ours, and I've been slowly transitioning them from read-only word docs over.

Forms are created the same way. Obviously there's going to be greater variation here, but if the function is the one who creates the basic form (or at least communicates what they need) then understanding should be inherent.

Audits - I've recently reviewed and revised our auditing products, creating a spreadsheet for the audit itself, and a PDF form for the summary report. Part of the process requires the auditor to sit with the function head to discuss any and all findings. I also instituted a rating system to prescribe criticality to findings. And as part of my annual audit forecast, I've earmarked personnel more familiar with specific aspects (sales for example) to perform the audit.

If I had to sum up what I believe the single most important factor to this dream is?

Employee buy-in through contribution.

Obviously there's more to it than that, but it's an amazing starting point.

Jennifer Kirley and Andy Nichols like this.