1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Establishing Internal Calibration processes as opposed to external

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Raghavan, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Raghavan

Raghavan Member

Hello folks,

hope you have wonderful Day, I am here to get some guide. As i am Thinking to set internal Calibration instead of External Calibration. My company registered under IATF. So wanted to know how should move forward. Can anyone guide me ?? it will be a great help.

i have read some of the specification GGG - C - 105C for calipers. but need guidens from someone who actually doing this.

thanks everyone.

2. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Hello!! Welcome to the forum!

I assume that you are seeking out information to perform calibrations in-house as opposed to sending them out for calibration. Is that correct?

What is the quantity of instruments you are looking for? Or... how many calibrations would be occurring each month?

Do you have any calibration standards (gauge blocks, primary thermometers, etc. the suitable instruments to calibrate other instruments) and have they been kept in the calibration cycle?

Do you already have procedures written on how to calibrate these instruments? Do you have sufficient technicians in-house to do the calibrations?

And... why are you wanting to do this? Meaning... is this a cost saving initiative; increased quality; lower downtime; etc.?

I would look at this from a high level as a break even point being identified. If you're talking like 25 instruments, probably not worth it.

John C. Abnet and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I'm with my buddy Brad on this. It is a cost saving thing? Do you have a lab already, doing testing/inspection you can utilize for things like environmental controls, cleanliness etc.? If you don't have anyone who has experience in Calibration sciences, won't you have a problem proving competency under section 7.2? If you don't have anyone who knows about MSA - related to calibration, not just gauge R & R - aren't you also going to run into a similar competency problem? Then there's documenting the calibration instructions for all the equipment types. For example, how would you calibrate an outside screw micrometer (or similar)? Do you have the equipment necessary? For example optical flats to check the anvil and spindle flatness?

BradM and John C. Abnet like this.
  4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Agree with the challenges pointed out by @Andy Nichols and @BradM .

Please also note the significant difference between verification and calibration. A daily or "prior to use" verification is common and can help limit the organization's exposure if an instrument is not working as intended. Accredited lab calibration (as pointed out by others) includes additional considerations ...measuring over 5 linear positions, checking face parallelism and flatness, etc..etc.. Unless your lab is prepared to do true "calibration" , then it might be more advantageous to simply do periodic verifications and use an accredited lab for the calibration.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

BradM and Andy Nichols like this.
  5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

6. Raghavan

Raghavan Member

thank you guys for the time and reply. i am still on this topic

Andy Nichols likes this.