1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

As9100 8.5

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by Christina Ward, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Christina Ward

Christina Ward New Member

Are we required to keep signed copies of COCs along with in process release of product evidence like a traveler?
    I am being challenged by an auditor that a signed copy if the COC should be retained for each shipment. This is the first company I've seen that does not do this.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Hi Christina and welcome!

If you mean "required" as "required by AS9100D", then the answer is "No". AS9100D doesn't specify such things. However, if the broader question is "How does an organization maintain batch/lot traceability?" and in doing so, comply with the 8.5.2 requirements, then it may be appropriate to have travelers and copies of CoC kept together.

The issue of the auditor "challenge" is another matter. Is this a CB auditor? Did they issue an NC?

John C. Abnet likes this.
  3. Christina Ward

Christina Ward New Member

She is a CB and she is wanting to write a nonconformance because we send the original signed copy to the customer and do not retain the copy. We are able to reprint the COC that traces back to the order but obviously its not signed. We have electronic travelers that we can show evidence of conformity. The problem is, we do not save these signed COCs for any of our plants so when she goes to the next it will be a major.

4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

COC ? Certificate of Conformance?

If "yes", is this something the organization creates post production or aggregate of verifications during production ? Is this document then submitted with shipments or kept only by the organization?

If this being issued by a 3rd party auditor, can you please provide their exact verbiage and/or the clause the claim is being offended?

Thanks in advance for helping to clarify.

Be well.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  5. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Ah....I believe your second posts answers my questions (except for which clause she is claiming is being offended).

My short answer is....the 3rd party auditor appears to be off base (on the information that I understand).
    Short of the "signature" that your CB appears to be asking for, is your organization able to show evidence of compliance to 8.6 as follows...

The organization shall retain documented information on the release of products and services. The documented information shall include...
    b) traceability to the person(s) authorizing the release." ?

Be well.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Then, in my experience, the CB has no justification for any "challenge" to what you do. If you have a traveler which is signed, the CoC being signed has no relevance, IMHO. In many cases a CoC means a lot less than the actual traveler and the information it contains - including being able to trace the person signing it as a "release".