1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Informing suppliers of Customer specific requirements

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by russell nugent, May 31, 2022.

1. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

At the moment we do not inform our suppliers of changes to CSRs . Going forward we need to start doing this . I am looking for some advice on how to do this . I dont want to send a full SQA document as there is a lot of reading and I dont want to send revision changes as it is difficult to piece together .Should I only send snippets of CSRs that could effect supplier.

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @russell nugent ;
    There are indeed numerous reasons why your organization may wish (and/or be required to) provide this information to your supply chain if/when they are potentially impacted...(e.g. due diligence by your organization, requirement from your customer(s), ISO 8.4.3; IATF 8.4.3.1, etc....).

My concern has to do with the tenor of the original post. The word/term "I" shows up a lot. The common challenge is ' who/what/when' in regard to this. In other words regardless, of you ("I") or whomever else is at the company five years from now, "who/what/when" will sustain the provision of this type of information (and any other regulatory, changes, etc..) to your organization's supply chain. This is further complicated by the fact that the information we are speaking of is not predictable. i.e. these changes can simply fall into your organization's proverbial lap at any given moment and, of course, is generally urgent/time sensitive in regard to communicating same to your supplier.

The goal is to find a systemic method that will drive this...
    - Do your CSR, other external documents, "flow" through your organization's document/change point control system? If so, then that system may be a way of incorporating a prompt to notify applicable information to applicable suppliers.
    - Does your purchasing department currently have a method of prompting suppliers for "other" types of changes (i.e. price, delivery methods, etc...etc...)where this could be incorporated?

I would counsel to look at your organization's existing systems/tools. These can be great options in lieu of creating something new.

This is a challenge for sure (not simply for your organization), and there is no silver bullet. I would simply counsel that however your organization moves forward...
    1- the approach is systemic and does not rely simply on "I" or any other individual to ensure it sustains.
    2- the approach considers ALL necessary ad hoc information that can be needed to send to suppliers (not only CSR).

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Andy Nichols likes this.