1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Swot Analysis

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Shane Olsen, May 17, 2022.

Tags:
?

Can a SWOT analysis be done verbally?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2022.
  1. Verbal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Documented

100.0%
  1. Shane Olsen

Shane Olsen New Member

Can anyone let me know if a SWOT analysis can be done verbally?

My coworker and I disagree on weather it can be done verbally or need to be documented.
    upload_2022-5-17_11-42-40.png

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It is usually conducted/facilitated verbally, in a group, and the results documented. From a review of what's recorded, the group usually identifies actions and assignments. Tough to do - effectively - if no documents are involved.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

A SWOT is essentially structured brainstorming. The four categories help guide the brainstorming process, which is usually verbal, but could also be done using Post-it notes, etc. However, in the end you need to document it, or what was the point of the exercise?

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Shane: I note your excerpt from your documentation (Quality manual) commits your organization to performing PFMEA. Within the ISO 9001 requirements and especially section 6, a PFMEA is the wrong focus. Risk comes from section 4 which discusses the strategic nature of issues. PFMEA deals with (very) tactical, process risks, which isn't the appropriate focus. In short, your organization is missing the point of the requirement and, I'd suggest, a PFMEA in and by itself, won't do much for you.

Bev D likes this.
  5. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Eventually, you will need to keep records of the results of the review by the top management concerning the effectiveness of the actions to address risks and opportunities. If we will go along with the statements in the standard about risks and opportunities, the steps leading to keeping of records will include:
    • 6.1.2b.2 - The organization shall plan…a) actions to address these risks and opportunities;…b) how to:…2) evaluate the effectiveness of these actions.
    • 9.1.3e - The results of analysis shall be used to evaluate…e) the effectiveness of actions taken to address risks and opportunities;
    • 9.3.2e - The management review shall be planned and carried out taking into consideration:…e) the effectiveness of actions taken to address risks and opportunities (see 6.1);
    • 9.3.3 - The organization shall retain documented information as evidence of the results of management reviews.