1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Has the Customers' Perception of Quality Changed?

Discussion in 'Coffee Break and Community Discussion Forum' started by Andy Nichols, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I'm involved in a social media based groups for collectors of diecast models. The companies which make these models seem to have a number of product quality issues which are discussed in these groups. I find it interesting that a significant majority of buyers who have experienced these defective products comment positively on the manufacturers' customer service in dealing with replacements. These are not insignificant faults either - complete assemblies fall apart.
    I'm intrigued by these responses. The cost to the company - if it not being passed on in the retail price paid - is being absorbed by the company, to it's detriment, in some way. Wages, profitability etc.

Why do people accept responsive customer service over a "right first time" experience?

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

In most cases, customer service would be seen as a basic requirement in the Kano model. This is still true for most business sectors.

However, when it comes to many consumer products, good customer service is almost entirely lacking. Therefore, when good customer service is experienced, it is a surprise and viewed as an excitement feature.

[​IMG]

3. UncannyThumbs

UncannyThumbs New Member

It could be that the cost in time and effort to ensure consistent quality is higher than the cost of good customer service and replacement parts. Even if customer service might technically take more time, the time is spent by different people.

I used to be an audio-visual technician, and there was one instructor who despised my department because she didn't like any of the equipment in her classroom. The system was old and had weird, intermittent bugs. We all knew how to make the problems temporarily go away, but we never figured out how to stop them from coming back. All of the other technicians avoided working on the room and spent their time on more straightforward problems. I, on the other hand, spent months testing every part of the system, keeping the instructor updated on my tests. I did not manage to fix a single thing in that room, but the instructor was very happy with my customer service and told my boss as much. The impression that I cared and was trying was apparently worth enough to outweigh the fact that I had done absolutely nothing useful.

My boss told me that I can't fix every problem, that intermittent problems are almost impossible to troubleshoot, and that I should spend more of my time on problems that are easier to resolve. We would continue to get critical calls for that room and would continue to apply temporary fixes, because that was less time-consuming than identifying the source of the issue.

On the installation side, I have tried to convince people of the merits of doing things right the first time, but I think short-term stressors interfere with that idea. Increasing complexity and rapidity of development probably has something to do with it, like how Agile programmers will release software with known bugs that they intend to repair in a later update, just so they can get something out. There seems to be an idea that getting everything right is impossible, so if you try to get it right the first time you will never finish a product, or you will finish it so slowly that it will be obsolete by the time it is done.

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! That's a fair point, however, what's the cost of ensuring "good" customer service? What's the chances that replacement parts also have the same defects as the original ones supplied. If they're most costly (which they already are because of the cost of warehousing, making them without a customer to sell them to, costs of processing replacements, etc. etc. It's always been less costly to get it right, the first time.

5. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

When all else fails…
    If the thing being sold is only available from that supplier or is at a ridiculously low price then ‘good customer service’ is the only thing the customer can rely on. It never lasts tho…