1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Can I verify Calibration rather than Certify Calibration?

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by Mary K, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Mary K

Mary K Member

I have recently been moved into a role of overseeing the calibration process for our plant. I have had many questions but no "confirmed" answers as the previous ower of this process is no longer with the company. I have found many work instructions but they are dated (2005).
    This is my situation. We have a company come on-site once a month to "calibrate" the inspection equipment due. What I see them doing is "verifying" the calibration because when an item fails it's sent to the company for re-cal or repair. We spend almost all of our quality allowance a month on this service. My question is this. Can I verify the calibration instead of having this company do it? We do have equipment that the last owner of this process used as standards for the calibration. We also have forms he used to verify and track the equipment, however these forms say "Calibration" not "verified calibration".
    I'm looking for some guidance on where I can start and what/where to find the standards that are out there. Our company is ISO certified if that helps with responses.
    Like I said, I am very new to this position without much experience on this end of the calibration spectrum.
    Any direction would be much appreciated.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Hi Mary K and welcome.

Hmmm - that's not uncommon, but is it necessary?
    What does this actually mean?

Wow, someone seems to have worked out a way to separate your company from its cash here! As an ISO 9001 certified company, you are allowed to do either calibration and/or verification of measurement equipment. A basic rule of thumb with calibration is the equipment being used should be calibrated if you want to avoid an argument with a customer (outgoing quality) or a supplier (incoming quality). Internally it may be less important between equipment used to set up a process (by an operator for example) and in that case a verification of something like a caliper against a couple of gauge blocks gives confidence in the results they get.

I'd like to know more about the company and what it makes before any concrete recommendations can be made here, however, you can likely save $$$ by stopping this supplier from taking your money, doing something your own people can/should be doing.

3. Mary K

Mary K Member

We're primarily a supplier of bearings for oil , gas, and solar companies. We are not required to document any of the specific inspection equipment for each order but we do require every calibrated instrument be verified (by using gauge blocks, length standards, etc.) before use.
    My question is this, can I verify the equipment, do the paperwork and if anything fails, then send it out to the company for repair? Is there anything in the ISO that states we must have someoe with specific certification validate the equipment?

4. Andy Nichols

A distributor? Or manufacturer?

By your customers or by your own procedures?

By procedure? If you verify, is a record made of the equipment a)being used for the inspection and b) used for the verification?

What is intended by "do the paperwork"? Of course, sending equipment for repair and checking makes sense.

No, unless someone wrote that into your QMS. It's not unusual that some type of qualification is written into a job description (like being a "lead auditor") even though ISO doesn't specify it.

5. Mary K

Mary K Member

We're the manufacturer.
    Both customer and procedure doesn't require specific instruments be documented per order.
    Our work instruction (procedure) requires the operator verify calibration before use.
    Every calibrated instrument has a record attached to it verifying when the caibration (verification) is done as well as any repairs completed.
    Paperwork - meaning a record of when (me - the process owner) verifies that individual piece of equipment. Ex: Verification of Calibration report containing measurements taken, repeatability, in / out of tolerance, what calibration equipment was used etc..

By the way, Thank you so much for this feedback and helping me get a good footing in this position.

6. Mary K

Mary K Member

Here is a basic example of what we would use

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

7. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Hello Mary!! Welcome!

A couple of questions.

1. When the outside company comes on-site each month, are they (let's avoid terminology discussions for a moment and say "check") checking the same instruments each month? Or are different instruments verified each month?
    2. When the check the instruments, what percentage are being sent back for adjustment would you say? 50%? 75%?
    3. Generally what type of equipment are they checking? Calipers? Thermometers (digital or glass)? Pressure gauges?

8. Andy Nichols

I'm a little confused, perhaps by the use of terminology. In 9 or 10 cases, "verification" is a quick health check of an item of equipment to ensure it's capable of functioning (to detect any damage etc. since last use). Calibration is the science of determining how the equipment varies from the known standard (usually done under controlled conditions, using equipment of 10:1 higher accuracy etc.) and takes into account factors which affect the readings obtained - which are not considered in "verification".

I haven't heard of verification of calibration. It seems to me that whomever coined that didn't understand the purpose of each. A check of calibration? Seems odd, to me...

9. BradM

Oh... I forgot to ask... is this calibration provider ISO 17025 accredited?

10. Mary K

Mary K Member

Right now we have over 2,500 calibrated equipment in our facility, Most of these are on 1 or 2 year cycles so each time this company comes in they're doing different instruments.
    On average we send back 2 to 3 instruments a month that were rejected. The % of rejected is very low.
    We have calipers, micrometers, bore gauges, ID gages, Pin gauges, thread gauges, etc.
    In our facility we verify the calibration by doing the quick "health check" we also make sure there's repeatability.
    Here also, the verbage of "verification of calibration" means to verify the instrument is still measuring within the tolerances and has repeatability.
    Yes, the provider is 17025 accredited.

BradM likes this.
  11. Andy Nichols

OK, so as long as it's your terminology and everyone understands what it means, that's fine. (I bet it gives your auditor a headache!)

It's very uncommon to mix the two terms, since they are different activities and when used as your organization does, it further changes the meaning. However, it's the practices which give results, not what they are called (unless there's confusion).

With 2,500 gauges available, are they all in use? It seems to be overkill to me (unless you're operating 24/7/365 kind of thing) to be having someone come in so frequently and doing checks which your own people could/should be doing themselves. I've often found individuals making more of "calibration" work than is financially necessary. Sadly, many management people care not to get involved and a mountain is made out of a molehill. It's all increasing the cost of goods sold and eroding profitability. I'd wager a number of those gauges don't need checking regularly, some need checking MORE regularly and some could simply been checked before their next use. Also, setting calibration based on time passing is an ineffective method. The types of gauges you typically use go out of tolerance due to use, not the passage of time.

You - and someone who knows metrology and calibration systems - should revisit the current practices, IMHO.

12. Mary K

Mary K Member

I believe we have so many active and in use equipment is partly due to "lean", we do run 24/5 sometimes 24/6 and even 7 if the need is there.
    The biggest problem I'm facing at the moment is availability of anyone who does know the metrology and calibration systems. Do you have any advice on who / or where to look? I'm hesitant to reach out to our calibration company with questions for obvious reasons. They are well aware I'm new and I feel I wouldn't get the best advice. My goal with taking on this new role is to SIMPLIFY AND STANDARDIZE as much as possible. This system hasn't had true ownership in a few years and sadly it shows. Do you recommend i purchase the ANSI for calibration? I did find ANSI/NCSL Z540-1 but it's from 1994 in a desk...
    I'm more than willing to simplify and standardize the verbage as well to help with the audits (i'm definatly not looking forward to that until I can get a handle on this process).

13. Andy Nichols

Hmmm, interesting. My take would have been that it should have reduced the number - but many might be duplicates to keep the line up and running, of course!
    Where are you located? Just a city and state will help.
    Exactly so. The gravy train may be ending! ;)
    Indeed.

14. Mary K

Mary K Member

I'm located in Antigo, Wisconsin.
    We do have many duplicate instruments to reduce time spent looking for measuring equipment.

15. Andy Nichols

Mary, might I suggest that you connect with your local state MEP? You might wish to start here with you inquiry. There may be money available to help you under some Federal or State Grant ("Going Pro" is one such grant) Please contact these folks, and tell them that Andy from the Michigan "Center" (MMTC) suggested them to you. https://www.wmep.org/certifications/

Let me know what response you get, please.

16. BradM

Thank you!! This information helps.

I guess... my advise would be to maybe not assume something is wrong or inept, until you have information. :) The vendor you're using may be terrible; they may... be great.

It sounds like you have a lot of instruments that are calibrated, and due to non-stop shifts, are being used on a regular basis. Correct?

The vendor is performing the calibrations and are giving you acceptable calibration certificates. Yes?

If you have an average of 200 instruments a month calibrated and 2 fail, that's 1%; that's a pretty good program.

So what makes you think/ feel your vendor may not be doing you a fair job? Or... why do you feel you're... hesitant to speak with them? Note: There's absolutely nothing wrong if you do. :) I'm just trying to help you determine your best options for your next step.

17. Mary K

Mary K Member

Yes, the inspection equipment is used on a regular basis.
    Yes, they are giving us a service and it's no that I feel they aren't. I am looking at this as a cost savings because we do have such a low number of rejected calibrations. I am looking at moving some of the calibration in house, not all. Our employees do a great job with taking care of the inspection equipment, no one abuses the equipment. Ideally I would like to move the calibration of calipers and micrometers in house, keeping the other services from the company such as pin gauges, length standards, etc..

18. Mary K

Mary K Member

I looked through their website and I am interested but need approval before I can inquire about their services. I will let you know the response if/when I am able to contact them.

19. BradM

OK... that's more than fair.

So I would recommend the suggestions and such Andy gave you. Calibration... is not hard per se. But you want to assure you have the main components: controlled standards, traceability, competence, robust/valid procedures, documentation, etc. Again...not hard; but it is some work and requires effort and ongoing management oversight.

Not sure what your instrument mix is. But say... like for micrometers/ calipers, you can set up a recall system in-house for them. Or... if your folks can keep from losing/ damaging gauge blocks, incorporate a quick performance check prior to use. Yes it adds a step, but you then can forgo an every six month calibration, trying to find them, trying to get folks to give them to you, the "these are my calipers; I own them" that sometimes pops up...

20. Mary K

Mary K Member

I've found the previous owner of this process had made the procedures (work instructions) for calibrating as well as specific standards used. As I dig into this process I'm finding more and more information we have that just needs to be reviewed and updated.
    I am very fortunate that everyone in this plant expects to have their instruments calibrated and rarely put up a fuss.

Andy Nichols likes this.