1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Short Kaizen for Housekeeping Processes (advice please)

Discussion in '5S, 5Why, 8D, TRIZ, SIPOC, RCA, Shainin Methods...' started by John Michael Kane, Feb 28, 2022.

1. John Michael Kane

John Michael Kane Member

I'm planning a Kaizen for a housekeeping process and to set expectations, no, I don't have 5 days.

I have 6 hours split into two days with 8 people from cross-functional teams. We have current housekeeping standards which have generally been ignored.

My current plan is:
    - Introduction (why we're here, what happened)
    - Simple Charter and Scope
    - Current Process Mapping Sessions
    - Actions for session 2

What are your thoughts, and I know that traditionalists say it's not long enough, but we live in an AGile world, I can't pull people off the the floor for a week.

Thank you in advance.

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

In a former role, we did "mini-Kaizen events" from time to time. I feel your pain in the struggle to balance desired improvement with availability of resources.

With such a short period of time, we really had to keep our scope narrow and put any scope creep opportunities into a wish list - a challenging enough exercise that can eat away at time.

The other challenge we had with mini events was how to assess what/if we actually improved. If the overall process is large, the "big impact" metrics were typically towards the end (e.g., final output of product, $$$, total process time, etc.). Finding a metric for an event with a small scope can be difficult, but not impossible. Even if it's time, you can equate a $-value to it...and if you repeat these mini-events down the process, eventually those dollars add up.

Best of luck!

John Michael Kane likes this.
  3. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

First Kaizen means rapid small improvements. There are those who confuse this with the ‘americanized’ ‘lean’ term kaizen blitz which traditionally takes 5 days.
    What it sounds like you ar trying to do is 5S which is specifically designed for housekeeping….

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Try this:

Laurie Brown is also a trainer of trainers (not those "train the trainer" types. She uses the 4Cs to great effect. Connection (in your case) is helping people with current experiences of, say "5S". We all have experienced it. Let them reflect and de-mystify it. Context - why it's important to your organization and them. Clarity can also be "Concrete Examples" - go and 5S something and lastly, Conclusions and a plan to do what they've learned (soon, don't fall into "use it or loose it".
    [​IMG]

5. John Michael Kane

John Michael Kane Member

Thanks - I'm coming to some of these conclusions too. I'm considering an After Action Review approach, having each sub-team fill out the "What Worked Well" and then "What could be better" posters on the wall with sticky notes and finally in session two put these all together on one long "brown-paper" wall and worlk toward a more standardized approach. "What could work for all groups?"