1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

R&R Study for labs, not for gage

Discussion in 'Gage R&R and MSA - Measurement Systems Analysis' started by laffranchinis, Feb 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. laffranchinis

laffranchinis Member

New Year, new project.

We want to qualify a new internal Lab based on our Global methods.
    From my understanding, what I need is not a Gage R&R, but rather a Method R&R:

3 labs measuring 5 samples for 2 times (following the same global method)
    Even if the global method is the same, the equipments and work instruction in the different Labs are not the same.
    Should I consider this like a standard Gage R&R? I assume we will get %SV/Tol higher than the acceptable 30%, since the gages are not the same.
    Should I simply need to consider one factor more? = operator and lab?
    Any recommendations?

BR
    Sam

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

In what industry are you? Some industries have very specialized requirements to which you must adhere. What you describe (replacing Operator with Lab) is definitely an option if you are simply trying to satisfy your internal requirements. There are also international ISO standards such as ISO 17025 Interlaboratory Comparison and ISO 17043 Proficiency Testing for this scenario if you need to satisfy a customer.

3. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Method comparison is a type of measurement study that crosses gages, systems, labs etc. that measure the same characteristic. For example, there are several methods for determining whether of not a person has COVID. There are several types of tests and even different devices/mechanisms for the same type of test. Google “Bland-Altman”. This approach is also covered by several standards that cover laboratories. Some methods are weak and some are strong. It may depend on what regulations govern your industry.

4. laffranchinis

laffranchinis Member

Hi Miner, Bev,

thanks for the hints. Yes, the aim is to find a structured way to assess our different internal labs. our lab are not ISO 17025 accreditated
    I would give a look at the Interlaboratory proficiency test to take inspiration as well.
    I will give a look at the Bland-Altman method too, in order to see if it can be a good choice for my project. Practically we want to compare the labs measuring different mech. properties as well non-mech on foam material.

BR
    Sam

Andy Nichols likes this.