1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Improvements effectiveness?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Qualmx, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

hello everyone

I have two questions.

In my system for improvements ,i Implemented what is named
    improvements projects.
    on it, I define an objective and when is finished, I evaluate effectiveness.

two questions

do the objective can ve vague, or have to be set with a clear goal (number,%)

example: to improve the confort in some areas, by installing ventilators.
    to prove the efectiveness, just a survey with employees if they answer , is ok, is fine, well is closed, and was effective.
    in this case i didnt set a goal as a number.

in the other case;
    Objective, to increase by 50% the production in machine xxxx
    If objective was met, ok was effective
    Do both methods are in compliment with th standard?

The other question.
    If project was not effective, is it recommended to raise a Corrective action?

Thanks for your help.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

How are you going to measure it? "Improve"? That's subjective. Someone famous once said, "if you can't measure it you can't manage it."

Corrective action? Sure, if that's what you want to do.

John C. Abnet and Qualmx like this.
  3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Hello Qualmx,

Improving comfort is a qualitative measure. Personnel are asked if they are comfortable, or more comfortable than before. This can become a quantitative measure if we ask them the extent of their improvement in comfort. 0 = none; 5 = extremely improved. This is, pf course subject to people's opinions.

Increasing production of machine could take place in more than one way. Here is a short list of possible causes:
    • Fewer breakdowns through more timely performance of preventive and predictive maintenance
    • Reduced replacement part shortage through second sourcing
    • Greater availability of skilled machinists to run the machine
    • Greater efficiency through more accurate production scheduling
    This is why I recommend targets are specific to the success of actions that influence them.

I hope this makes sense.

Qualmx likes this.
  4. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

ok, so i n the first case, the objective should be better to set like: to get 5 points of confort? not just to say " to improve" without to set something measurable.
    In the second, is easy to increase at least 50% in machine.

If improvements were not effective according to actions, in your opinion, would they deserve to apply corrective actions?

Thanks

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Opinions are ten a penny. Anyone can tell you yes or no and you're no better off. What is going to get your organization what they want/need?

Qualmx likes this.
  6. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Air quality and air movement/CFM can both be measured. If your organization is going to spend the money to install ventilators, why not simply measure the result of the ventilators?

Air quality can be tricky. Well intended "ventilators" can even make conditions worse.

My counsel is to measure or don't do.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Andy Nichols and Jennifer Kirley like this.
  7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

When setting objectives, I try to follow the approaches below:
    • Objectives to improve or reduce something should specify the ideal level against an established baseline (so a measurable starting point should be set first);
    • Objectives to maintain something should specify the existing level of performance (performance is defined as "measurable result");
    • Objectives to eliminate something should be achieved by a specified date,
    I based the last item above from the "approved interpretations" from ISO/TC 176 on ISO 9001:2000 requirement about setting quality objectives:

upload_2022-3-2_10-28-53.png

IMHO, unmet objective doesn't require corrective action. The extent of achieving the quality objectives is one of the inputs in the organization's management review. Clause 9.3.3 only requires "decisions and actions" as output of the management review - not necessarily "corrective" actions.

Andy Nichols and Qualmx like this.