1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Are items with a NSN considered COTS Items?

Discussion in 'Manufacturing and Related Processes' started by Jake_E, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Jake_E

Jake_E Member

So I have a question concerning COTS items designation.

We have a part that we need for an assembly ( small 10-24 flat head screw) which comes from old drawing (originated in 1969, last revised in 1996). This item does have a NSN attached to it when you do a google search (PN 819760-2, NSN# 5305-00-969-2402). Since the NSN is a catalogue, itself, is the part considered a COTS Item. It can be procured from multiple sources via the NSN number by the general public.

2. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Hello there!

I did do a search and found where that part number is available at least across three different vendors:

https://www.hardwareorbit.com/partno-search?searchby=partno&searchkey=819760-2

To order it, it takes the whole thing: PN 819760-2, NSN# 5305-00-969-2402

As far as classifying it as a COTS, what is the requirement/ criteria you have to meet? Meaning, what is driving the question (if you're at liberty to share)?

3. Jake_E

Jake_E Member

We are purchasing the part from a vendor, but the drawing has plating on it to an old outdated specification that has been superseded. Also per our customer, if it is not a COTS item, it requires a FAI. In the FAI, we have to use the latest specs per the customers Spec Index. In this case, the cad plating (on the drawing as QQ-P-416), must be certed to SAE AMS-QQ-P-416. Unfortunately, the parts come with certs to just the QQ-P-416 specification. Our Source Inpsector is not accepting the older spec, and we cannot get the supplier to get the cert amended to the SAE AMS spec. If it is designated as a COTS Item, the FAI is not required.

4. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Are there vendors who could CAD plate to the parts to the newest specification? I would be... interested to know why the supplier isn't updating their specifications.
    I'm not an expert in this field. But it seems to me if you cannot purchase the plated item with certs to the most recent specifications, an exception will need to be made (your FAI maybe).

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member