1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

A2LA consulting?

Discussion in 'ISO 17025 - Calibration and Test Laboratories' started by John C. Abnet, Nov 9, 2021.

1. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Hey all..hopefully someone can help me understand. How is an accreditation body such as A2La able to perform consulting? This is a "no-no" in all aspects of Certification Bodies. Is it different for AB,s?

Here's an excerpt from A2La's blatant ad...

A2LA WorkPlace Training employs the industry’s leading ISO accreditation consultants to help you achieve your quality goals. With firsthand experience in both laboratory settings and the accreditation industry, AWPT’s lab consulting services are unmatched. Whether you need help with gap analysis, support implementing an ISO/IEC 17025 quality manual, or expert advice setting up a cannabis testing lab, AWPT consultants are your go-to resource. AWPT serves labs of all sizes, and we can provide experienced laboratory startup consultants for a variety of industries.

UPDATE:
    I found this verbiage in the ILAC "P" document P15:05-2020, Annex "A"....

A n2 It is also considered as a conflicting activity the provision of consultancy in the design, manufacture, supply, installation, purchase, use or maintenance of the items inspected.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Interesting observation, @John C. Abnet. The "rules", such as they are limit a Certification Body to doing training through a (technically) different entity. Which, as we all know is a pretty lose description. An accreditation Body might be able to "dodge" any similar conflicts (or seemingly so) by also using a separate legal entity - A2LAWPT (or whatever)...

John C. Abnet likes this.
  3. John C. Abnet

T
    Thanks @Andy Nichols ;
    Please now see the *UPDATE* I added to my original post...thank you.

Be well.

4. Andy Nichols

Aha, but that's for "Inspection Bodies", which would include the (inspection services) likes of DNV, BV, LR etc.

5. John C. Abnet

Ah....17020...understood. I see that now. Thanks Andy.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

Yes, @John C. Abnet - the alphabet spaghetti of ISO standards - and we expect clients to become comfortable with them? Did you know about ISO/IEC 17024? ;)