1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Same KPI in different processes although related?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by Qualmx, May 20, 2017.

1. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Dr. Deming's objection to Management by Objective was the means people would be tempted to achieve the objective:
    One jaw-dropping example is Wells Fargo's account fraud scandal, which originated from the "Going for Gr-Eight" initiative that pressured branch employees to sell at least eight products per day. Branch managers felt pressured to the extent that fraud resulted, with great damage resulting.

Dr. Deming also spoke against management pursing a cycle of fads. I had not heard Balanced Scorecard (BSC) has gone out of fashion. There are so many types (Kaplan and Norton avoided prescribing specific models in their 1996 book, but their Harvard Business Review article shows a couple of descriptive models) that it is possible the balanced scorecard isn't called by that name but the principles still are used.

Hoshin Kanri and Balanced Scorecard are not mutually exclusive, though BSC is said to be shorter-term focus and Hoshin Kanri more long term. If an X Matrix and Bowling Chart manage to keep the "big picture" focus that is central to the Balanced Scorecard approach, and management does so ethically and sustainably, I don't care what it's called. I'm in.

I am not affiliated with i-nexus.