1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

numbering convention change to existing documents

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by DBramms, Aug 30, 2021.

1. DBramms

DBramms New Member

Appreciate any assistance with the following.
    Due to name and numbering changes within our organization. I have been asked to provide a new document number to a document different number) that was previously sitting at Rev_1. I was asked to just up-rev the newly numbered document to Rev_2. I suggested the new unique document number have the Revision start at Rev_0 for Issue (and reference the legacy status in the new document).
    Would this be the best way, or should I up-rev the new document to Rev_2.

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Hello, DBramms and welcome to QFO.

Why are you opposed to the Rev 2 approach?

For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of Rev 0...the first version of a book isn't called 0, it's referred to as a first printing.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I agree that most people start at Rev 1, but that implies that it is a revision of an earlier document. You could always use: Original. Rev 1, Rev 2,... Or start with 1st Release...

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

How many documents are we talking about? Are they all relatively unique in their identification? I have a cunning plan...