1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Return to stock? Is this the responsibility of QA?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Liam S, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Liam S

Liam S Member

We have a customer who would like to return an item they bought which does not fulfil what they require. They openly admit they bought this item by mistake and would like to return it.

No problem.

However, the Sales team are asking for our ‘returns policy’ that would include some kind of ‘restock charge’ which I don’t have! I questioned whether or not this should be a part of our Sales Terms & Conditions, which resulted in them looking at me like I had just called all their mothers!

I get as QA we would be responsible for having a procedure on how we handle a return, but is it our responsibly to have a ‘policy’ for this if we are running against ISO9001:2015?

Thank you in advance.

Arjun Nayak likes this.
  2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Great question. I'd suggest it's a consideration under the ISO 9001:2015 requirements for the "Context of the Organization" - the internal and external issues affecting the QMS and also the "needs and expectations of interested parties". Is it a "once in a blue moon" issue? What's the relationship with the customer? Would they be unhappy to pay a restocking fee? Would the return involve a deal of cost on your organization's part in re-inspecting/testing the unit etc?

ISO 9001 is mute on the subject - other than for the consideration above.

Liam S likes this.
  3. Liam S

Liam S Member

I think the relationship with the customer is brand new. All our products are made to order so it’s difficult to just take it back as a straight return.
    I will have a read of the above points you have made above and follow it by offering support the Sales Team to create a policy and a procedure afterwards.

Thanks as always Andy.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Mahaveer Jain

Mahaveer Jain Member

I feel it would also reflects under clause 8.5.5

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Post delivery activities normally include servicing, installation, commissioning, decommissioning and is usually a) determined under the Context of the Organization and b) the scope of the QMS. Nothing to do with when a customer returns something they didn't really want, TBH

6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Usually, the Sales Team are the one responsible for "providing information relating to products and services" as specified in 8.2.1 (Customer Communication). Many items in the entire clause of 8.2 are usually supported by the Sales Team.

7. The Arbiter

The Arbiter Member

If your company needs a policy the semior management should decide who creates it. ISO 9001 doesn't need it to be written down. It should really be a joint effort. Think of it as a process rather than a "policy".
    Alternativly, you're running a business for the purposes of making profit, not running a policy. It might be that the deal with that customer is special to them only if they are repeat business.

8. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Just an FYI on how my company handles it. We make build to stock, configure to order and engineer to order product. We allow a customer to return unopened stocked product for a restocking fee. This policy was written by our customer care team. Unfortunately, our more canny customers will return the product as a quality return to avoid the restocking fee. We reference this document in our procedure for handling quality returns, but that is the only place where it is mentioned in the QMS.