1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

How to define "Quality"

Discussion in 'Other Quality and Business Related Topics' started by Andy Nichols, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I've been watching a couple of threads, elsewhere, discussing the definition of "Quality". Many state (in an ASQ survey, fairly recently) that it is "meeting and exceeding customers needs and expectations".

How do you define Quality?

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

While I can appreciate the inclusion of "expectations," I've never been comfortable with the use of it in the definition of Quality. Expectations are the Client's "unknown unknowns" that, somehow, an organization is supposed to translate into the "known knowns." By including "expectations" in the definition, failure of an organization to successfully apply this 'lead-to-gold alchemic formula' means failure to achieve Quality. We set ourselves up for failure by including "expectations" in the definition of Quality.

That said, meeting expectations does play part in our relationship with Clients and this, in my opinion, falls under "Experience."

Let's say I have a nurse coming into my home to provide care:

Quality - Has the skills to provide the required care, understands the care required, washes hands, keeps me safe and free from harm, shows up on time, etc.

Expectations - Dressed professionally, friendly, won't yell at me, hygienic

Quality are things that are actually part of our contract (verbal or documented)...Expectations are not. There is, however, a business connection, between them. If the nurse is dressed like a slob, is rude, berates me, and smells funny, I'll be calling the office to complain and they either give me a new nurse or I take my business elsewhere (if possible). I can have Quality but a poor Experience...I could also have the reverse...both...or neither.

In line with my desire to exclude "expectations," I also do not like the use of the word "exceed." Define "exceed." Better than the requirements? Define better.

If I order a widget with a measurement tolerance of +/- 0.05mm and you provide me with a widget that has a tolerance of that, yay. You've met my requirements. If you take extra effort to provide me with a widget that is now +/- 0.03mm, you're still within my tolerance - you have not, in my mind, exceeded it - and you spent extra time/resources on providing a widget with a tighter tolerance for which I will not pay more. You may think you've exceeded my requirements, however, all you've done is decreased your profit margin.

If I order a thingamabob to be delivered on July 2, and you deliver it on July 1, you may think you've exceeded my expectations by getting it to me sooner, however, you have not. July 1 is a holiday here so maybe staffing is not around to receive your delivery...or I have staff to receive but no one to take it inside so now the thingamabob is left outside to the elements or blocking an aisle. Or what if I was spending July 1 cleaning up my warehouse and won't have room for this delivery until July 2. Earlier delivery is not necessarily exceeding my requirements.

Quality is, to me, simply meeting requirements. Full stop.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Thank you, Roxane.