1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO 9001 references on a procedure

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by CarlosNS, Jun 22, 2021.

1. CarlosNS

CarlosNS Member

Good Morning,
    I am starting with the implantation of the ISO 9001:2015 and I wanted to know if it is mandatory to set a reference for every Quality Management Normative that applies to.

The procedure has to have: Name and reference of the procedure, revision, risponsible, reviewed and apporved by,... among other things. Is it mandatory to have a reference to the ISO 9001 (or every other normative that applies to) inside the procedure?

Thanks in advance.

2. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Welcome to QFO @CarlosNS ! ISO 9001 doesn't have a requirement to reference the standard in the documented procedures. However, if your organization has a policy or internal requirement to reference the standard in the procedures, then it becomes mandatory.

Qualmx and CarlosNS like this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Not unless you write that into your document control method. Indeed, it will cause you a big headache in a few years time!

Actually, good documentation only needs a few of these things plus, the ones which are needed don't always have to be IN the document.

4. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Welcome CarlosNS!

As tony s and Andy said, no there is no requirement for references to ISO 9001. Not only is there no useful purpose for such references, I have seen such references cause trouble when the standard updates.

Responsibilities can be managed in a central matrix, which is easier to maintain than x number of separate procedures.

I do agree with having the revision made clear in some way, so the user can know if the version he/she is viewing is current.

Approvals can depend on the document: the levels of responsibility needed to oversee it, areas of specialty and other relevant considerations. Approvals can be recorded in many different ways, and need not be visible on the document itself. Some of my clients use the Voting Button feature in MS Outlook to manage and keep record of approvals.

The most important things in document control are the practical needs: current and accurate information is readily available to who needs it, when they need it. How you accomplish this your decision.

I hope this helps.