1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

FMEA for non-product processes

Discussion in 'FMEA - Failure Modes and Effects Analysis' started by Andy Nichols, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone had experience of applying FMEA to non-product processes, such as Purchasing, training, etc?

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I have applied it several times. My non-automotive company is strengthening their new product introduction process by implementing a formal APQP approach. Since some of the tools are new to our quality personnel, I put together training documents and did an FMEA on some of the key tools (e.g., MSA, capability) to identify risks. I have also developed a Metrics FMEA, which may be used to identify how a new metric can be manipulated or drive the wrong behavior. I used that on a purchasing project to guide them in developing better metrics.

Jennifer Kirley and S1D3K1CK like this.
  3. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

That's very interesting! How successful has this been for the personnel involved?

4. Miner

It's still in the early stages (APQP implementation), but the people responsible for the roll out have incorporated the identified risks into the various documents that they have developed, so it looks good.

5. Andy Nichols

I'm interested to see that it's confined to APQP. Have you tried it on, let's say, the procurement process? I have completed a PFMEA on turning a requisition into a supplier PO and it seems like a LOT of work for very little reward. None of the RPNs really would do much for organizations I'm familiar with.

6. Miner

So far, I am focusing on new processes, not on existing processes. If I were to look at an existing process, I would focus on a process that is high risk and/or demonstrated a lot of issues.

7. Andy Nichols

Why not simply audit the processes for a) compliance to planned arrangements and b) effectiveness?

8. Miner

It is looking at it from a different perspective. One way is looking at it from the "Am I doing it as planned and is it working well so far?", and the other is looking at it from the "Is there anything that has not, but could go wrong?" perspective.

Oleh Haievskyi likes this.
  9. Andy Nichols

Yup, that seems reasonable. It seems to me, that the application of an FMEA is a lot of work for little reward.

Kerri likes this.
  10. Kerri

Kerri Member

Totally agree Andy. I also considered looking at processes as well as product processes but my head nearly exploded

Andy Nichols likes this.
  11. Andy Nichols

:D

12. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Like most of the other stuff we've been toying with for the last 25 years, :) it can be very useful or can be a complete waste of time. :

If you develop good/ reasonable weights, I would think it be a pretty easy objective way to focus on the highest weight items. Would keep down the subjectivity and stuff.