1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

NCR SCARs CARs Back Log

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Abigail Ontiveros, May 20, 2021.

1. Abigail Ontiveros

Abigail Ontiveros Member

Question, I'm literally the only Quality person at my new job. Not enough people have time or want to help with documentation. I have a lot of back log CARs, SCARs and NCRs that need to be documented. Can I create a folder for each and write them up little by little calling it a back log? Or any suggestions on how to handle this?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Let's use a root cause analysis here and ask the question "What's the problem"?

3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Hello Abigail,

You did not mention if your quality management system has a current means to document CARs, SCARs and NCRs. The method you use matters less than its upkeep and usefulness for learning and facilitating improvement through avoiding repeat problems.

Whose responsibility is it to do this documentation? Where is that defined, and how are people made aware of their roles in supporting the process?

4. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

It definitely depends on if you're violating your own procedure or not. ISO just states you have to have a documented system in place. If you're back-logged, that's not necessarily a reason to write yourself up internally for it, unless it means you're not complying with your own procedure and/or objectives. (i.e. specific turn-around time or goal not being met) If you think this is the case, I would recommend doing an internal 8D to show evidence of continual improvement in this area, which could possibly include revising procedure to ensure your internal requirements and objectives are attainable. This way, if the auditor sees you are working towards improving your system, they will be less likely to issue a finding for it. However, if ISO requirements are being met and it's just a matter of corrective actions and NCRs piling up, call a meeting of the owners and set priorities and timeline for getting them completed. If the auditor happens to see a trend of several CARs and NCRs piling up, it could lead them in the direction of the effectiveness of the system. The trick is to structure your procedure to lead them away from that line of thinking by putting in clauses regarding issuing extensions under certain circumstances, and implementing an escalation process that shows that you are monitoring the system and not neglecting them.

5. Mahaveer Jain

Mahaveer Jain Member

If its too long back set a priority take for example jan 2021 put all the pending ones in excel sheet in front of each complaint in the row put up responsibility department HOD start circulating that sheet including your MD OR ED in the mail copy weekly start sending reminders I know as you are new people in your organization may see you in a different view but dont worry you keep your view without getting distracted. See it will work for sure come back post once you solve this problem. This issue is there in all companies unless you followup they are not closed. Remember SCARs are responsibilities of purchase dpt so involve them have meeting with vendor also

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

We still don't know what the actual problem is which needs fixing...

7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Is the problem about documenting them or initiating actions to address them?

8. Thee Bouyyy

Thee Bouyyy New Member

Can you start telling us one by one?