1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Internal Auditor certification

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by el jeffe, Apr 29, 2021.

1. el jeffe

el jeffe New Member

I don't see a lot of information in 19011:2018 or 9001:2015 or the IAF-MD's about recertification of internal auditors. What is the general standard to recertify an Internal Auditor?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

There is none. Most internal auditors are not "certified", they simply have a training certificate which says that for 1, 2, 3, 4 or however many days, they were in a course. Maybe there was a test. Perhaps they passed the test. Most internal auditors never actually become an Exemplar Global/IRCA card-carrying auditor (because it costs) and that does require the candidate to maintain their qualifications.

Your answer is that any internal auditor should be being (periodically) evaluated to see if they are competent, no more, no less. If the ISO standard(s) change, then someone should decide if a new competency should be added to the list, such as the 2015 "Context" requirements. BTW I've yet to see a CB auditor who has a clue how to audit that, so internal auditors shouldn't worry.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  3. Abigail Ontiveros

Abigail Ontiveros Member

@Andy Nichols Can you recommend a good online Internal Auditing course? TIA

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, not, Abigail. I have little experience or sitting through an on-line course and, to be very honest, I don't believe it's a subject which can be taught (effectively) on line. Others may have a different opinion, of course.

5. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

I agree with Andy....if the material was short in length and fairly basic, I would definitely recommend an online course, but definitely not for ANY type of internal auditor training. (If it's even offered) Most people respond to hands-on training and in these training sessions, there are group sessions that allow you to role play to perform an actual audit. If you've never audited before, these exercises prove to be very helpful.

Andy Nichols likes this.