1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Responsible Department for Quality Inspection Procedure

Discussion in 'Sampling, Standards and Inspection' started by MapleQuality, Mar 25, 2021.

1. MapleQuality

MapleQuality Member

Hi all,

I am not sure if this has been asked before (and apologies if it is a duplicate), but I am wondering which department is responsible for coming up with the technical quality inspection procedures and methods during manufacturing (such as welding inspection, electrical testing, hydraulic testing, non-destructive testing, dimensional measurement, etc)?

In general, it is assumed that the Quality department is responsible for preparing the inspection procedures, but all inspection procedures require technical and engineering knowledge and background to know how to inspect and what to inspect. Quality does not necessarily have this technical knowledge (i.e. electrical, mechanical, thermodynamic, etc). Quality individuals do not usually have engineering experience. So who is ultimately responsible for writing the inspection procedures?

2. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Welcome MapleQuality:)

The person or persons who should write the procedures are those who are best qualified. In the case of technically complex tests such as those you mention thi soften means a multi-person approach. Some of these tests can require special equipent and special training, some are covered by regulatory standards, some will require statistical sample sizes...

MapleQuality likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Bev. I would add that, typically, inspection and testing is introduced to ensure that a process is being conducted and is effective - that it is "in control". Whomever is responsible for defining the process (or manufacture) and what's needed to ensure process control and product conformity should define the inspections necessary.

Bev D and MapleQuality like this.
  4. MapleQuality

MapleQuality Member

Thank you for your comments.
    So I think the conclusion is that, for instance, for manufacturing of a simple shaft, the Engineer who designed the shaft has to write the quality control procedures for it as well (such as dimensional checking, concentricity inspection, material inspection, etc), is that correct?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. Typically, they are not procedures, but a "Process Control Plan" which defines the various features of the part being manufactured and what, how and when to check the various features, including what equipment to use, to meet the specification (thread gauge vs wires, for example)

MapleQuality likes this.