1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Support Function dilemma

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Mayra Miller, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Mayra Miller

Mayra Miller New Member

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with these questions.:)

We are IATF certified, our certificate has Design and Sales as support function, they are in another US location.
    Our Mexico facility is IATF certified by other CB but they have our USA location and Design and Sales as supporting locations; we buy parts from our Mexico facility so we treat them as supplier however all projects have to be approved by Engineering USA team.

My question do we have to add them to our IATF certificate as supporting location? and as what type of supporting function?

thanks in advance for your help. ;)

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Firstly, this seems weird to me. If all locations are part of an organization then the Design and Sales support function is applicable to both IATF certificates. Why are you treating a site, owned by the organization, as a supplier? They aren't. Why do you use a different CB? This appears to be the complication leading to your question. It looks to me as if your QMS is corrupted by treating the Mexico site as a supplier and both Registrars are allowing this to happen.

3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Mayra Miller .
    You mentioned that you treat your Mexico plant as a supplier and that your organization "buys parts" from them . I would see no reason why you can not consider them as "a supplier" as you mention you already do.

How long have these two facilities been IATF certified? (in other words, why is this just now a question? How has it been handled in the past? )

IF Mexico is acceptably considered a supplier, then they are not a remote support function.

Hope this helps .

Be well.