1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Bend allowance formulas

Discussion in 'Manufacturing and Related Processes' started by S1D3K1CK, Feb 26, 2021.

1. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

Hello all, are there any formulas to calculate bend allowance per angle or per radii?

2. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

What is the material? For 5052 H32 sheet aluminum I used the rule of thumb bend allowance = thickness of the material for a 90 degree bend. That is, for .063" thick the bend allowance was 1/16 inch. This is based on stretch so it follows that a lesser angle requires less allowance.

Other metals behave differently. I remember 340 or 360 stainless steel needed slightly less (more? it is hard to remember, it was a very long time ago) bend allowance because its radius was naturally more rounded. Aircraft aluminum would crack if its bend radii was as tight as I used for the more ductile aluminum, so it too used somewhat less allowance and could not necessarily be trusted with 90 degrees bends.

Please keep in mind that material stretch does also get impacted by the force and gap between the jaws of the press brake. That might impact your bend allowance too. ncalculators claims to have an algorithm that can give you a precise figure. You will need to know the "K-Constant" for the metal you are working with. I hope these sites give you accurate information.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    S1D3K1CK and Miner like this.
  3. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

I will definitely check these out. Thanks