1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Hello! Looking for knowledge

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eric D., Feb 25, 2021.

1. Eric D.

Eric D. New Member

Hello everyone, glad to be here.

I'm starting my second year in quality at an IATF-16949 certified plant.

At the beginning of the year, I was given a leadership role in our measurements lab following the departure of our lead programmer. (CMM, Arm, Scan)

I really want to improve our capability as a team, and thought about getting the lab ISO certified. Trouble is, I largely just see numbers: 9001, 17025, 10012, 15530, etc.., and lack the ability to differentiate most of them.

Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Eric D. , and welcome to the site.

Here is an extremely brief overview in response to your question...

ISO 9001 = Quality Management System. The ISO "flagship", and often the foundation of or with other standards. Establishes a framework of good product/service practices, regardless of industry (hamburgers to rocket engines) [think New York City you'll understand in a minute]
    * It is what ISO considers a "type A" standard. i.e. you can be certified to this standard.

IATF 16949= Quality Management System. This is ISO 9001 on a ridiculous amount of steroids. It is SPECIFIC to the automotive industry. It utilizes (requires) ISO 9001 as its foundation. [Think New York State. (i.e. you can't have New York State, without New York City) ]
    You can be certified to this standard

ISO 17025 = is specific to testing and calibration laboratories. It can apply to any industry.
    * You can be ACCREDITED to this standard (it's kinda like certification,...but for labs)

ISO 10012 = Measurement management systems
    * ISO considers this a "type A" standard. I'm not overly familiar with it, but it appears to augment the laboratory requirements of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, without a "full blown" ISO 17025 accreditation.

ISO 15530= guidance of measurement uncertainty of CMM.
    * It is not a management system standard...an organization can not become "certified" to this.

Hope this helps

Be well.

Jennifer Kirley and Eric D. like this.
  3. Eric D.

Eric D. New Member

@John C. Abnet Thank you! That really clarifies a lot right off the bat.

John C. Abnet likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome. Can you clarify something. Is this lab part of an IATF 16949 plant, or separate?

If it is already covered under the plant IATF 16949 Certificate, you'd have to consider the cost/benefit of seeking to have the lab do something in addition to this certification. For example, as my friend @John C. Abnet states, you could apply ISO/IEC 17025 to the lab. This is an additional cost - fairly substantial - and you'd have to show what the benefit is. Typically, such an accreditation is for commercial labs which need to establish their credentials to do business. Unless your lab is providing a service to external customers, then what is going to pay for this accreditation? Your plant management might ask such a question. You might employ the requirements of ISO/IEC 17025, but accreditation? Meh!

In my experience of being a lab-rat, one of the better improvements comes from employing the "Lean" or "Toyota Production System" tools, such as 5S, 8 Wastes Reduction and so on. Very applicable in a lab...

Eric D. and John C. Abnet like this.
  5. Eric D.

Eric D. New Member

@Andy Nichols our plant is IATF 16949 certified. After speaking to my manager, he was very enthusiastic about an ISO 17025 accreditation. He told me it was actually his intention when he first started but it fell by the wayside with other projects and bushfires. I guess I'll have to do some more research into the specific benefit to our lab.

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Interesting and thanks for the feedback. Here's a consideration for you: Once of the paths to ISO/IEC 17025 is using your IATF 16949/ISO 9001 Quality Management System as the base. This helps significantly when implementing a lab management system. The dilemma you may face is the potential for conflicting audit results between your IATF 16949 CB auditor and your Lab Accreditation auditor. Plus, for the most part, you'll have about 75 - 80% of your Quality Management System being audited twice, by different auditing companies... Just a thought.

Eric D. likes this.