1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

How to understand correctly the all clauses of API Sepc Q1

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Langley Liao, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Langley Liao

Langley Liao New Member

Hi,Everyone,
    Our company now is operating a quality management system of API Spec Q1 and we feel confused about the part sections of API Spec Q1.so we would like to understand all the sections of API Spec Q1 and i would greatly appreciate it if you can hele me.Thanks again!

2. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Welcome @Langley Liao . You have posted a loaded question about API Spec Q1 on ISO 9001 forum. Hence, there's no specific answer. Try asking specific questions. You'll have a better chance of getting helpful answers from people with background/expertise in oil and gas industry.

3. Langley Liao

Langley Liao New Member

Hi, Tony, Thank you very much! How to correctly understand the bullet list of 6.3 d) Analysis of Date for API Spec Q1: "characteristic and trends of process and products including opportunities for preventive action (see 6.4.3)." Would you give me an example of it? Thanks in advance.

4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Clause 6.3d of the API Spec Q1 is based from clause 8.4c of the 2008 version of the ISO 9001 standard. The particular clause of the old version of the standard mentioned "The analysis of data shall provide information relating to: characteristics and trends of processes and products, including opportunities for preventive action (see 8.2.3 and 8.2.4)". Clause 8.2.3 was about monitoring and measurement of processes, while 8.2.4 was about monitoring and measurement of product.

When we monitor and measure the processes, we collect information from the process parameters such as turn-around-time, ambient temperature, machine oil level, noise level, applied pressure, mean-time-between-failure, etc. These are process characteristics that must be checked to ensure smooth operation in producing quality products.

In monitoring and measuring the product characteristics (i.e. specifications), activities and controls like inspections, control charts, capability analysis, SPC, etc. are usually employed. The data obtained from these two types of monitoring and measurement can provide organizations vital information on the behavior of their processes and the variation of their products which can lead to identification of anticipatory measures to prevent future problems.

Oleh Haievskyi likes this.
  5. Langley Liao

Langley Liao New Member

Hi, Tony, Thank you so much!

6. Thee Bouyyy

Thee Bouyyy New Member

You have to put in the work, period. It won't happen overnight, but over years. All the best [​IMG]

7. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Can you provide some help as to what "the work" is? That would be of assistance. Maybe a few examples?

8. Thee Bouyyy

Thee Bouyyy New Member

1. Examine the product's specifications.
    2. Write down every requirement (every time the spec says "shall") and explain how your product fulfils it (i.e., refer to the proper drawing or calculation for your product that demonstrates conformity to the requirement) or underline where you need to make a modification to fulfil the API requirements.

It's a lot of effort, but it's the only way to ensure that your product satisfies the spec, and it's also a really effective way to understand the API requirements, in my experience.

9. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Isn't API Q1 a Quality Management Systems requirement, similar to ISO 9001? I don't believe it is anything about product specification...