1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

New to ISO 9001? What frustrates you about the standard?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Andy Nichols, Oct 15, 2020.

1. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

The standard does not say that you cannot rename items the way you would like. In fact, I worked for one organization where we called ours the Business Management System which eventually evolved to [Company Name] Business System as it was deployed out to multiple sites around the world. The idea is to make the standard work for your organization, not to make your organization work for the standard. The standard fails to clearly articulate this degree of flexibility and, unfortunately, too many organizations pursuing ISO certification - and too many auditors who work for CBs - focus solely on the black-and-white of the standard within our/their own comforts. It is easy to repeat what the standard says. Any parrot can accomplish this. Yet, repeating the standard does not equate to understanding it nor applying it within the spirit of what it is intended for.

Take, for example, the quality policy. Too many auditors (CB and internal) ask the question "What is your quality policy?" That's the cue for the individual to stand up straight and bark out, word for word, what is hanging up nicely in the front lobby. Pardon me for being too blunt here, but who gives a flying f**k if someone can repeat the quality policy? How does that add ANY value to the organization or the stakeholders? During one visit from a CB auditor, that auditor would ask our employees on the floor "What is your quality" and each time the employees would look at me. I stood there with a small smile on my face and waited patiently until the CB auditor would start to write his notes that the employee did not know the quality policy. I would then politely ask "How do you impact the quality of our product?" Folks would then light up and talk about the impact if a machine broke down because they didn't follow a preventive maintenance routine or how they measured the product to make sure it conformed to the customers' requirements. When the auditor, at the end of the day, commented that no one knew the quality policy, I challenged him on that - every single employee was able to speak to their role(s) which were clearly aligned with the bullet points hanging up in the nicely framed piece of paper in the front lobby. I challenged him to dispute me on that and I challenged him to tell me memorizing the quality policy added more value to the organization than a passionate awareness and belief of how each person played a part in our ability to ship good product out the door. There was no finding issued on our quality policy communication after that.

The easy path is to create a system that conforms to the standard where no one asks the question "How does this process add value to the organization?" The easy path is to never question or challenge the CB auditor who might see something they don't necessarily agree with or understand. One of our responsibilities, as "quality" leaders, is to serve as teachers and translators. We are to help our organizations understand that a "quality" system applies to everyone in the organization and everything that is done. We are to help translate our organizational system back into ISO-ese so that the CB auditors who perhaps have had limited exposure to a system that does not parrot back the standard. We should not develop a system for the sake of making the auditors' lives easier. They are not our bread and butter. They are not the ones that help us pay our employees. We need to create a system that will help the organization survive but also thrive, and one of our humble responsibilities is to, from time to time, dumb it down for the CB auditors so that know which page to turn to in their pretty little checklists of things to audit.

As for the use of the word "quality", the issue here, in my opinion, lies in the beginning of the standard which fails - yet again - to clearly state that the use of the word 'quality' is meant to be used as an adjective (i.e., describer) instead of a noun (i.e., thing). When the standard says Quality Records, it means NOT to reference a document owned/maintained/controlled by the Quality Department, but rather it DOES mean to reference documents that indicate whether or not expected goals/targets/norms/requirements have been met (i.e. and meeting these goals/targets/etc. is, in the simplest definition, quality).

One of our responsibilities as "quality" leaders is to again aid those poor CB auditors who struggle with where to focus if there an organization-wide system that focus on producing quality results across all processes, departments, and levels. We need to keep them focused on the scope of their audit while explaining that the system goes above and beyond the quality of the product, but rather, focuses on the quality of performance throughout the organization. It adds more value to the organization when there is a common system used throughout - how amazing it truly is when the organization speaks one business language (e.g., when corrective action is a standardized process regardless of the issue or the process or the department) and is able to see, at a holistic level, which areas are doing well and those other areas which may be struggling. Individualized systems throughout make such an awareness more difficult.

The recognition that "quality" is meant to be applied throughout is missed by those who simply lack the awareness (or refuse to acknowledge) that this is the intent of the standard. One of our responsibilities as "quality" leaders is to educate and nudge our organization to this level of awareness. And if folks refuse to go there, then we, as "quality" leaders, have a personal decision to make.

Lastly regarding the phrase "top management shall be responsible...", it goes without saying that that the actual work is likely done by employees further down in the structure. Of course, this applies to larger organizations. In smaller organizations, top management may also be the person who does the coffee run in the middle of the morning. That said, the ultimate responsibility of the organization's degree of success rests with top management. They are the ones who determine who gets paid what, what resources (human and technological) will be acquired, and the direction of the organization. If they are unwilling to invest in proper training or the hiring of the proper staff or the acquisition of the proper resources/knowledge, then they are setting the organization up for failure and those individuals further down in the structure will not have the ability to do their job properly (i.e., they will likely not be able to meet the customers' requirements in a consistent manner).

To your own point that quality must be throughout the organization, it's not just a term that should be applied to every department, but it also needs to be applied at every level. We each have a part to play in our ability to meet our stakeholders' requirements - from the person who pushes the broom and empties the bins, to the person who authorizes our pay cheques and determines if it's worth it to acquire an expensive piece of machinery.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

This morning I'm reminded of the situation which caused me to make the original post: A company wants to know how to make sure they have covered everything and ensure that when they get their CB audit, everything goes smoothly, because they know where to find all the relevant requirements, referenced within the QMS. Let's take and example and also deal with the frustration:

Clause 4 Context of the organization. It refers to internal and external issues, discusses the need to review information relating to these issues (not documented) and yet, doesn't refer to any other requirement which is linked in any way. So a reader has to read through to the other end of the standard to see if the same topics are ever mentioned again (which they are, in 9.3 Management Review). IMHO that's a BIG ask of the reader to do that. As a result, documents get created when none are needed and also a system of documentation is created, instead of a documented system.

To assist in the task, we set about creating a look-up table which had the following headings:

Monitor Information
    Maintain Information
    Retain Information
    ISO Clause #
    Sub clause #
    Paragraph reference to the type of information required (items 1, 2 or 3)
    Where found in QMS

This has proven to be very helpful in mapping requirements to the QMS. It isn't part of the QMS, however, simply a design tool

RoxaneB likes this.
  3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Wow, @RoxaneB ;
    You are standing on "my" soapbox and delivering the message better than I ever could. Intelligent and well articulated...well done.

(I may shamelessly steal some of your lines ;)

Be well.

4. RoxaneB

If that's a tool that works for your - I presume - client, great. I fully applaud an intent that aims to translate ISO-speak into the language of the organization and/or something that they can easily understand and apply.

My own approach, since our company was heavily into the PDCA methodology, was to align the components of our business management system within the PDCA "wedges" and then indicate the applicable ISO (sub-)clause(s).

The step of taking the standard and "reformatting" it in a way that works for the organization is the best approach to take in my opinion. Sure, some CB auditors may look utterly perplexed at what they're about to audit, but because the organization has taken the time to write a system in their own language, they should then have the ability to translate back into ISO-speak so that the CB auditor can assess if there is conformance to the requirement documented in their pretty little checklist.

5. RoxaneB

Thanks. I figured that since it had been quite a while since I posted anything, I should make it a good one. :cool:

Atul Khandekar and John C. Abnet like this.
  6. John C. Abnet

I actually quoted you ( @RoxaneB) on my linked in today, ...referring back to a same topic I wrote on year back titled “Abolish Quality”)

7. ValeriaGar

ValeriaGar Member

Thank you John.
    I think we can change that mindset (of certain companies) if we, as managers, work hard on it. We need to explain why something is being implemented, why it is important, and what benefits it brings us.
    PS. I am very excited to have joined this forum, there are many useful topics.

John C. Abnet and Andy Nichols like this.
  8. QualityKev

QualityKev New Member

im not a complete newbie but I was when 2015 came out and i was tasked with the transition in my company. I found decyphering the actual requirements the hardest thing to get my head round. Take COTO for instance. I initially made loads of SWOT and COTO spreadsheets/documents and spent ages identifying risks/opportunities, had a large quality management review to populate said spreadsheets before realising that i was wasting my time. We already cover the clauses off in our existing daily, weekly, monthly operatins and management meetings and all i needed to do was document it. The standard just isnt presented in a way that people with no prior experience can relate to.

i also second that the use of the word 'quality' is damaging for how its implemented in some businesses. Try as they might with 2015, its still viewed as a side add on in some settings and the hangover of the quality department just handling the whole thing still remains. i think they really missed a trick with that revision to re-frame the standard and change they ways its viewed by non 'quality' staff.

William Floyd and Andy Nichols like this.
  9. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Me too.

QualityKev likes this.
  10. John C. Abnet

Well said @QualityKev

Be well.

QualityKev likes this.
  11. Hitokiri Aoshi

Hitokiri Aoshi Member

I have nothing to complain about the standard.

a little background about me, I come from ME background, worked head engineer at branch office of 9ppl, grew to 80ppl, then shifted to manage 1,200ppl plant in china for last 2.5 years looking over process and quality while pushing out lean six sigma. I also write standards for my industry in API and accompanied at least 40+ audits over last 10 years. now i find myself as QA manager of a distributor company.

I would argue that the way ISO9001 is written is very good, especially now in a process approach, however, what i can't stand is 2 things.

1) people who believe they are trained/certified/know ISO telling me how ISO is, when the standard explicitly does not say whatever they are claiming. this perceived inclusion kills me.
    2) operation people who thinks QMS a necessary evil, instead of a tool. then complain on why they shipped or make something wrong and pissed off the customer. and i just point to part of the QMS system that would have resolve the issue had they bothered to do it.

If any improvement, introduce better process idea, i find that anyone who knows six sigma and lean will easily understand and utilize ISO, and any org that does six sigma and lean are probably more equipped to handle good QMS.

PS: i am stripping the word quality from alot of my procedures as i hate typing extra words that i don't need. everything is quality, no need to repeat it. no one have a "Non-quality inspection procedure"

12. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

More devil's advocate than anything else...but please expand on...
    I already had that tool, it was called common business sense, now I have a tool that came with baggage and an external auditor fee.
    Please explain how ISO is any better of a tool than I already had ...so I can justify the baggage and external auditor fee...

William Floyd likes this.
  13. Hitokiri Aoshi

Hitokiri Aoshi Member

to be honest, if a company is ISO certified, i wouldn't even audit them. on QMS, a cursory review is all i'd do. i'd spend the entire time doing technical audit. Beats me on why those end user don't learn to leverage other people's audit/QMS CB audits. I do know alot of company won't even get considered unless certified.

Additionally, You are correct, and is why ISO 9001 is a evolution from natural business best practices, which usually takes time and mistake to build up. The intent for ISO9001 is just to capture what a typical best practice would look like. i believe your gripe is with the cost and effort of certification, but not against the idea of ISO9001.

for example, before i even know about ISO 9001, i had created a crazy NCR process which wowed every inspector, and it rides on filing technique and a note file. and probably is perfect for any company below 50-100 people with 0 cost.

then i see companies with ISO certs, with crappy NCR system relying on some expensive and bloated QMS software.

14. Eric Twiname

... not sure where you're coming from... but there are a whole lot of issues with what I'm reading...

Have you ever worked in an ISO9001 company?
    Have you ever audited one?
    ISO companies are WAY worse than non-ISO companies in my experience.
    If a company is ISO9001, that's strike #1 in my book.

That's just plain rubbish.

That is also plain rubbish.
    It's a bunch of old guys in a room trying to make money by selling horse-pucky.

Good, so you agree...

Even your "crazy NCR process" was better than the ISO companies you saw...

I figure that's why Andy has this ISO Gripes thread...

15. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

For me, I appreciate the standard for its intentions ingrained in the various “shalls” comprising its major clauses. However, for the standard to communicate its spirit, words have to be employed to form its body. The use of “ISO-ese” jargons (e.g. quality policy, quality objectives, management review, etc.) contributed to the mystification of the standard. Managers, consultants and auditors with preference to “canned” approaches to fulfil the shalls of the standard with the mentioned jargons, instead of appreciating the organizations’ existing mechanisms, further muddled the intentions of the standard. These caused the creation of “add-on” approaches adopted by many organizations just to show conformance. Some examples of “add-on” approaches that I observed from various organizations with already existing robust approaches:
    • At the lobby of an ISO 9001-certified academic institution, I noticed that they’ve displayed two nicely hanged frames of their “Service Pledge” and “Quality Policy”. Positioned side-by-side, anybody can easily notice that both contain commitments to deliver quality services that satisfy requirements. I came to know that the Service Pledge has been there for the longest time and the Quality Policy was recently introduced during their preparation for ISO 9001 certification.

• When I audited a government agency and asked about their established functional goals/targets (I prefer not to use “quality objectives” since this may not be the terminology they are accustomed with), I was answered with a question: “Are you asking about the ‘success indicators and targets’ of our office or the ‘quality objectives’ that we set for ISO?” I found out that they have been using a tool called Office Performance Commitment indicating each department’s performance targets that supports their long-term strategic goals. On the other hand, the “quality objectives” that were separately documented in their Quality Management System Plan (another ISO-ese), according to them, was introduced by their consultant during their workshops on ISO 9001 documentation.

• I’ve seen Quality Manuals (another ISO-ese) of many organizations that describe when a “management review” is to be conducted and usually specify something like this “management review is carried out at least once a year or as the need arises”. When I offered to one organization that they can use their existing monthly Management Committee (ManCom) as its venue for reviewing their QMS, the top management shot back by saying “Why do I need to complicate things? If the certifying body is happy about our once-a-year Management Review Meeting with minutes indicating all inputs were covered, then we’ll just stick to that”.

QualityKev likes this.
  16. Mehrdad Soltanifar

Mehrdad Soltanifar Member

I think ISO 9001 is a tool like a knife. You can chop vegetables with it and make a good dish, or you can stab people with it. The knife itself is not good or bad. How you are using it is important. ISO 9001 is the same. It's not the only tool for quality management. There are lots of other tools that may consider better than ISO 9001 depending on the maturity of the organisation. But ISO 9001 provides a basic framework to assist companies in their continuous improvement journey.

I have worked in companies who were able to extract the best out of ISO 9001 and improve their processes significantly. I have also worked in companies who couldn't implement it correctly and just did it for the sake of getting the certificate.

If you have implemented ISO 9001 and you felt that instead of getting positive results, it had bad impacts (like unnecessary cost and time) on your organisation, you probably haven't done it properly.
    It is highly important to understand that ISO 9001 is not something you adjust your company with. It is a framework that you should modify, to suit your company objectives.

Parag Kumar and John C. Abnet like this.
  17. Eric Twiname

Thank you for clarifying Mehdrad ... I think you have clearly outlined why we do not connect.

Using your analogy:
    I think of a QMS as a knife.
    I think that good business sense is a hand.
    I think that ISO is a replacement hand I don't need since I already have a good one, made by people I've never met.
    I don't need a new hand, I don't need a new knife...and those that need a new hand (lack their own business sense) aren't much better off for having ISO foisted upon them. They would be better off hiring someone with good sense.

18. RoxaneB

ISO 9001 - and, well, most standards - were developed with the intent to enable organizations to standardize their processes relevant to the standard. If a company already had a mature, robust business management system established before pursuing ISO 9001, one of two events were likely the outcome:

1. Two separate systems were created - similar to @tony s 's reference about the Service Pledge and the Quality Pledge; one pledge would likely have sufficed. This creates a split culture where people do things because "it's what we believe" or "because of ISO 9001." This leads to a sense that ISO 9001 creates work, generates red tape, and adds little to no value to the organization.

- OR -

2. The company goes "Hey, we do this stuff already. We call it different things, but darned if we're going to change our culture because of this. We will be like the Borg (from Star Trek if any of you are not geeks), assimilate it into our collective, and make it a part of us instead of changing who we are to accommodate it." That's when a savvy auditor realizes that ISO 9001 jargon will likely not be found - similar to the example from @tony s about "success indicators and targets" instead of "quality objectives." The requirements are all there, just not necessarily in a way that is immediately recognized by someone outside of the organization.

I think many of us who have been playing in the ISO 9001 sandbox for quite for some see Outcome #1 more than the second one, unfortunately. This has led to frustration and even a dismissal of the potential value that the standard can offer an organization. Plainly put, more than a few of us are bitter towards ISO 9001.

That said, the standard can be a starting point for organizations who haven't really formalized their business management processes. They could look around and benchmark multiple organizations or they could just start with ISO 9001 and go from there. ISO 9001 has the ability to offer a good set of criteria to help an organization identify the basic components to a a quality or business management system. They might have certain things already nailed down like their production processes and accounting processes, but handing bad product or training people or even understanding how to assess the health of their organization are not aspects that every company has figured out. Should they have? Undoubtedly, yes. But have they? No.

There's a phrase I love to use - "Common sense ain't." Activities that should be second nature and foundational to an organization, just don't always happen. It's like this - common sense is to look both ways before crossing the street, but too often people don't and they're (nearly) hit by a vehicle when they step away from the curb. As for me, I look both ways even on a one-way street...because common sense tells me that there may be an idiot driver going the wrong way! In other words, common sense tells me that not everything will go the way I expect it to.

The downside to these organizations who decide to go the route of starting with ISO 9001 is that too many of them read the black-and-white (or are trained only on the black-and-white), and then we get into the mess of having a quality department instead of a quality culture, loose-goosey objectives not backed by data, massive piles of documentation, and so on.

Unfortunately, a mess evolved out of ISO 9001 - the $$$ associated with it. Customers realized that perhaps not all of their suppliers had a robust business management system, so they started demanding that suppliers be registered or certified to to this standard. This resulted in organizations creating systems for the sake of immediate profit and lead to development of meaningless, non-value-adding processes. And for those companies that already had a solid system prior to (or concurrently to) ISO 9001, well, unfortunately, they were lumped into this whole money-spending venture and that would take us back up to the start of my response.

At the end of it all, whether you have your own QMS and/or subscribe to ISO 9001, an organization gets out of it what it puts into it. If the organization does not go beyond the words - i.e., doesn't look at the connections, contemplate what the value of the requirement can be, etc. - it's a system that will result in a lovely piece of paper in the lobby, a celebratory pizza party, and people who "follow the rules" only when the auditors are out and about. If, however, an organization takes the time to thoughtfully and meaningfully connect the pieces - because ISO 9001 does rather let us down here - it has the potential to create or absorb a system that supports their culture and long-term bottom line.

19. Bruce Brannon

Bruce Brannon Member

I come to this from a totally different perspective, any help appreciated! - After 30+ years in procurement and experience as ISO Auditor, I recently went to work for a small business bringing a new product to market. I am the only person with previous experience in this are, and am tasked with getting our company ISO certified. So for me, the questions are many, like:

1-What written procedures are required?
    2-In what form must they be written?
    3-How extensive must the Quality Manual be, and is a Quality statement required?

It is both neat and frustrating that I am starting at ground zero, so like I said, ANY information you can give is a huge help!

20. Eric Twiname

Hi Bruce,

Is it safe to assume you have obtained a copy of the standard at this point?

1- Not much per se...but some documents while not technically required can make it much easier to be audited....see section #4.
    2- No requirement as to form, whatever works best for your company
    3- No Quality Manual required at all, nor Quality statement...though having one often makes it easier to deal with customer SQE's in my experience.

If it were me, I would:
    - read through the standard
    - Put it down and walk through the company and see what it is the company does, and how, ask "the guys" all about what they do and why.
    - read through the standard point by point and tag what you learned from "the guys" to each point.
    - Do a Gap Analysis....what points are not covered? What points are covered, but inconvenient to prove or "display" to an auditor? Determine if its worth fighting with an auditor or whether a simple documentation step is easier.

Both this forum and Elsmar are full of answers to your question, from folks in your very same position...read a while, you'll get lots of good advice (and some bad mixed in, it IS a forum...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    tony s and Bruce Brannon like this.