1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Assessment checklist for obsoleting documents

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by binnie, Sep 22, 2020.

1. binnie

binnie Member

How to create assessment checklist to review that document is valid to obsolete or not when they send the change order request to obsolete documents? Aside from reason for obsoleting documents what kind of assessment question need to ask that we can make proper assessment before obsoleting document. (for all kind of documents including procedures, WI, Form, Template, validation document, calibration documents, etc.)

2. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

I've never seen a checklist to assess whether a request to obsolete a document is valid. That sounds like a considerable amount of unnecessary overhead. The document owner should be cognizant of whether the document should be obsoleted or not and should coordinate with the document consumers to ensure a smooth transition. The role of document control should be to ensure that, at all points of use, the obsolete copy is removed and/or replaced (so doc control needs to know where copies are distributed).

What conditions are you specifically concerned about (for which you feel the checklist would help)?

Parag Kumar, binnie and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. binnie

binnie Member

The main reason is to guide the document control and document owners that there is a reason for those documents first creation and why they no longer required from the assessment make now. So leader wants me to establish assessment checklist (guidelines for them)to review and access the request for document obsolete is valid or not. Eg removing quality form from record list, procedure obsolete and incorporated into other procedure. Actually they provide reason for obsolete. But now need to create assessment checklist.. after that they need to use assessment checklist as guidelines whether their request is valid or not. And i am trying find out what kind of general questions should i put in assessment checklist

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. This is a symptom of another issue, in my mind. In 40 years I've never encountered such a request.

binnie likes this.
  5. binnie

binnie Member

Thanks both. That’s why i am difficult to come out assessment checklist. I researched a lot but can’t get ideas how should i creat it.

Andy Nichols likes this.