1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Free issue procedures?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Liam S, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Liam S

Liam S Member

I understand that this isn't directly ISO:2015 related, but it is just a question I wanted to put out there...

Do any of you run a 'free issue procedure'?
    For example: We are an engineering company, and we obviously have a stores where we issue parts to picking tickets which controls all our stock levels.

Now, we do have some parts (i.e. consumables) that are not stock controlled so are free issue. Would love to hear peoples opinions on this on whether I should create a procedure so there is some kind of control or am I just creating work that's not worth my time?

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Liam S ;
    Welcome to the site.

As you likely know, there are "0" requirements in ISO 9001:2015 for a written "procedure".

Having said that, allow me to answer your question with questions....
    What is the risk of NOT having a procedure? What controls are needed selfishly by your organization to prevent internal problems or a nonconformity?

It's all about RBT Liam (Risk Based Thinking) . Be selfish. Build the QMS and any necessary to documentation to support and protect your organization (and its customers).

Hope this helps.

Be well.

3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

You don't need to write a procedure to establish control. Is there any risk if the "consumables" go out of stock? If yes, you can implement controls like:
    • monitoring the count of the stock on hand;
    • recording incoming and outgoing stocks;
    • recording the quantity issued to requestors;
    • setting a safe level on when to initiate replenishment of stocks, etc.

John C. Abnet and Andy Nichols like this.
  4. Liam S

Liam S Member

Thanks Tony,

As you say tho, If i'm to add these controls in would they not need a procedure to run against?

5. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

No, not necessary. "It should not be the documented information that drives the processes" as clarified by the ISO guidance document.
    Even the definition of the procedure as per ISO 9000:2015 says that "Procedures can be documented or not".

If the absence of a documented procedure will put the organization at risk of not meeting the customer or applicable requirements, then, by all means, document a procedure.

Let me share a video clip that I find relevant when organizations don't see the need for a documented procedure to carry out activities. Here's the link.

John C. Abnet and Liam S like this.